Career Woes...Queries regarding jobsearch in Singapore!

Discussion in 'Indians in Singapore' started by jeyshree, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Chithraaa

Chithraaa New IL'ite

Hi All,

Greetings !!

I have shifted to singapore 1 year back. I have 4 years of experiance in IT industry . I started looking for a job here at singapore .

I have 2 things to highlight here.

1. I am in dependent Pass
    2. I quit my last job in Jan 2010. 1 year break .

I am searching for a job from Feb2011. Is it so difficult to get a job here because of the above 2 pts?

Can anybody suggest me a way to search for a job effevctively .

Please share your ideas.

BTW hi anu , what happened to your job search ?

2. anurank

anurank New IL'ite

Hi Chitra,

yes my hunt is still going on..
    I too face the same pbm..break and less yrs of exp..

How abt ur search..have u been attending any interview..

all the best to u!!

bye..

3. Chithraaa

Chithraaa New IL'ite

Hi Jeyshree,

I too like to make Indian friends. It's very boring here housewife.
    where ae u staying. I am staying in Ang Mo Kio.

4. Chithraaa

Chithraaa New IL'ite

Hi Anu,

I just quit the job search. Since I didn't get any opportuinities. :)

Wat abt u.. I am bored in staying home. where are u staying. I am in Ang mo Kio. can v develope our contacts to spend the leisure time.

bye

5. anurank

anurank New IL'ite

Hi Chitra,

Sorry for the late reply :p...its the same situ on my job search. yeah sure...i stay in Yishun..

6. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

I faced the same situation when i came here on a DP an year back. I started searching for a job after a break of 8 months. I had 7 years of experience at that time, having worked in both Chennai & US all for Tier-1 IT companies.

From what I've seen so far, it doesnt matter whether you have a 2 month gap or 2 year gap. As soon as the consultants see that you are currently not working, they take that as a reason to exploit you and pay you the lowest salary possible.
    Also, they do not differentiate between a person with 2 yrs experience and a person with 10 yr experience, as far as salary is concerned. If they can exploit you, they surely will.

Since i am in IT background, the salaries i talk about are applicable only for IT. If you search long enough, and ready to go work for any salary, then eventually you will end up working with a salary of 2000 - 3000 singapore dollars. Even though this is a very low salary for IT industries, consultants actually manage to convince you that you are lucky to be getting this amount with your first job in singapore. And there are many job seekers who believe this to be true as well.

After a very frustrating 8 months, i was lucky enough to directly get interviewed by a global bank, and got selected by them. I am paid very well with a host of benefits, which i cannot even dream about when working as a consultant.

In my opinion, if you are negotiating with a consultant please start by asking 6 - 6.5 k, so that by the end they will come down to atleast 4 - 4.5 k. If you start with 4, you'll end up agreeing to work for 2 k, which will definitely not be sufficient to cover your expenses here in singapore.

There is no straight answer on how to get a job, and luck also plays a major part. Above all, be patient and dont give into consultant's demands that they can pay you only max 2k or so. Good luck to all you with your job search, and hope you land good jobs soon.

7. Lizonly

Lizonly New IL'ite

8. anurank

anurank New IL'ite

Hey Chandrika..Good to hear that ur into job now, and thanks for ur info..and what ever u have put in words is true on job search..

9. abeash

abeash New IL'ite

hi sweta singh,i am also a pt.are u in singapore now?

10. IndianQueen

IndianQueen Silver IL'ite

Hi everyone, this thread is almost dead, let's bring it back to life.. So anyone here successful in getting a job in Singapore while on a dependent pass?
    I am also looking out for the last 2 months, no great calls.. I hear the banks and financial services firms have freezed their recruitment due to the greece debt crisis. And Dec Jan and Feb are not the good times to look out for jobs due to the holiday seasons and the bonus period. Also heard that 90% of the recruitment here happens through referals and very few are published... So please tap on all of your contacts... Any one??? Any inputs???

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012