Career change - urgent advice, please

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Eswaram, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Eswaram

Eswaram New IL'ite

Dear Ladies,

I work for an international organization. There are two types of staff categories: professional staff and Support staff. I fall in support staff category.

Now that I am in the process of completing my masters in Business Administration (HRM), I thought I should apply for better posts within the organization. With my 15 years of admin/finance experience and academic qualifications, I am eligible to apply for professional positions and the organization should consider my application if they think that I meet the criteria.

Though I am positive to apply for the position which has come up (last date to submit appln is 5 March), I am very nervous to think about the personal interview, staff assessment and written test. I may also have to go through many processes as I am a support staff at the moment.

I need to prove my competency, managerial capacity, staff management and so on. I am not sure whether I have all those capacities as I haven't worked in a managerial position so far. I am in lack of confidence to face this. To think of the challenges I have to face in the coming months (March to April) once I applied, makes me very nervous and I am restless.

On top, like in all the companies and organizations, there is a kind of discrimination in the air between the two staff categories. So I am bit afraid that I may be bombarded with hard questions and others, if I come up to interview level.

I had a chance to speak to one of my colleague in the HR department and she really encouraged me to apply. She says that it will be good if you apply and face it. if you get it, it is good for you, if not, it will be an experience. Though I agree with her, it will be completely a new department, new people… and I have a mixture of feelings.

My weakness is local language, though I can speak and write but not up to the standard. This makes me bit worried. In fact, I mentioned this to my colleague in HR, she said that lack of certain standard in speaking a language should not be the main criteria as there are many colleagues who speaks only English or the other and this should not stop you from applying… I am thinking of all these positively but I am very confused and thinking of not to appear as a joker in front of the interview panel. L

I have my exams in May and I have to prepare. I am not sure whether it is advisable to apply for the position and go thru' the process apart from studying for the exams.
    I would appreciate your feedback and advise. Many thanks.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010

2. deva280579

deva280579 Senior IL'ite

Hi Eswaram,

I am really happy to see a another good post in this site, actually spkng am a software guy and i do have exposure in HRM, coz i studied bca and i completed my masters in public administration because i dont relate studies with my job, coz it has nothing to do with it according to me. my sugg would be, it may sound funny though its a good exercise for mind, pls stand in front of the mirror neatly dressed up and shoot out whtever questions regarding your professional way and u yourself start noting it in a paper and after somedays u will really see a increase in confidence level, because our mind itself is a question bank and also whtever you see diff in you daily life, make a habit of noting it down in the paper and do a small research so as to cultivate versatile personality and also always watch some postive thoughts movies, novels, inspirational music.and also go to some orphonage home and see the kids its def'ly a briliant place to increase confident level. hope this will help you

Reg's
    Deva

Moderator Note: Deva, thank you for the excellent advice you have given here. Please read the Forum Etiquette, as well as these guidelines - chat and sms-style abbreviations ("coz", "def'ly", "u") are not allowed here, since we'd like our forums to be as readable and accessible as possible. I hope to have your cooperation in this matter. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2010
  3. Eswaram

Eswaram New IL'ite

Many thanks Deva. I would certainly try your way...:))

keep me posted, if you have more ideas.

regards