1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

care to share dry fruit/fruit based recipes?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by tikka, Nov 16, 2009.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

DS, now almost 3, was a great eater. Great because we did not usually fuss about his eating and great because he would eat karela (bittergourd) shorshe happily. OF late, I notice he is off some veggies (if you put them in pasta, he will have it, so I am not sweating it). But he wont have any fruits except orange.
    DS has had a bout of diarrhoea and I want to limit orange, but heck. His tiny Highness will not eat other fruits ;-).
    Pineapple rasam was a hit at home, I am looking at other deceptive ways of working in fruit. He likes apples, but I find most of the apple that is available throughout the year does not taste as good as seasonal fruits.
    So mommies, grandmas: do help me with recipes to sneak in fruits that a kitchen-challenged, always in a mad rush to cook mom can do. Thanks in advance.

2. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

I hope I will be able to help.
    Cheelas of besan and rice flour with veggies, as it comes out soft, the kid might like it.
    Apple kheer/ apple pies
    fruit cream..a sure hit, just add sugar and fruit peices to beaten crean and viola.
    You can do the same with hung curds....add sugar and fruits to it, its a gujju recipe, and delicious. Dry fruit is also added to it. This can be made with bananas, mango, apple, orange, etc.
    dry fruit kheer
    atta pinni(laddu)
    pizza - I make it with chopped veggies sauteed and then baked on a pizza base, with some cheese on top. The children don't realise what all went into it. Can use capsicum, cabbage, tomatoes, beans etc.

Another thing is pulao/imli rice/lemon rice etc, with lots of veggies.
    What I do is add thinly chopped and sauteed veggies to the original recipe.

Same for noodles.

All these recipes , are good for grown ups too. Thus I prefer as I do not need to cook something extra, so saves time.

Some sites you can look up. the links are here...
    Fruits Baby Food Recipes! Fruit Puree for homemade baby food recipes, get Free Fruit Puree baby food recipes at wholesomebabyfood.com
    Dried Fruit Recipes | Weelicious ? - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family!

Recipes for Fruit Desserts | DianasDesserts.com

I know we will need to use just their ideas as their style of eating and cooking is different from us.
    One important thing to remember is that the kids keep on changing and so do their tastes. So do not worry, one more thing...show the child to the doctor, some deficiency, mouth ulcers, teething etc can keep the kids away from food. My DS in the same age group is doing the similar pranks and cranks.

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Muzna, thanks for the links. I will look them up. I should have put up right there, my bad. DS has allergies to milk products and to a lot of other foods. Most desserts using fruits seem to have a milk base or has milk as a main ingredient. Today I coated banana in chocolate sauce and called it fruit chocolate sticks. Tomorrow probably another kind of sauce... But do please keep 'em coming. Something might work, he he, I am that desperate ;-)

4. reddy2207

reddy2207 New IL'ite

You can try mixing any fruit (like bananas, berries etc) with pancake batter or any shredded vegetables(like carrots, sweet potatos, etc) with idli's , dosas batter.

5. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

my mom used to make prune cookies.. my bro and i loved it!! but we hated regular prunes.. same with dates and figs

banana bread is a big hit, fruit crumble (take any stone fruit, chop in to small cubes, drizzle a bit of honey and coat well, toss of oats or crumbled biscuits and bake until bubbly)

and you can change it around to suit your preferences

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

MrsV, can you elaborate "stone fruit", Do you mean stuff like cherry/plums/berries? I like your suggestion, will give it a try today.
    Reddy: I just got a bag of self-raising flour. Would that do well in the place of milk and egg for pancake (DH makes his pancakes with both?)
    Thanks for your posts here ladies.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

krithika,

I think v meant the same. apricots, peaches those fruits that have a stone.

I think it is a season. sometimes kids start avoiding a certain food. just don't leave it, do give that fruit in different style. i suffered for 3 years when DD stopped eating greens.

I just puree veggies and make dough for rotis.

you could chop, add sugar and stuff fruit parathas, if he likes. or you could just make a filling with the pureed fruits. a puree and cookit to form a jelly, use it as side for dosas, rotis.

you can make banana muffins, maybe the fluffiness will come with trials, but you can definitely subsitute butter with oil. (I make apple cookies, banana muffins without butter and egg.)

fruit crumble tastes better with biscuits but do try with oats.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  8. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Yup exactly what I meant - you can also do berries.

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Muzna, the weelicious website is worth eating. yum. :thumbsup for linking that one... yum
    MrsV. Good to know I can try them with other fruits, I dont know where to shop for fruits with stones. Tomorrow is my baking day... I promise to come back with how it all went. Baking is somewhat new to me and something I am not good at :bonk

10. shinimkumar

shinimkumar New IL'ite

you can give
    1.fruit custard.
    2.dry fruits custard
    3.dates bajji
    4.banana fritters
    5.fruit fritters
    6.apple bajji
    7.fruit dosa/idli
    8.dry fruit laddu
    9.fruit payasam