Can Women achieve a work-life balance???

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by ayeshanaaz, May 25, 2007.

1. anu.phr

anu.phr New IL'ite

Hmmm.....My mom was very successful at work and I cannot imagine how she managed to be pluperfect in taking care of the family. I am in US for the past 7 years. I have a 3.5 year old son and after having a break for the 3 years since he was born, started working again. My mom had always been a motivation to me. I used to think if she was able to do so much...why can't I?

She is 61 now and had to take VRS when she was 58. She had osteoporosis and broke her leg bone real bad and had to be in bed for an year. She never wanted to leave the job but had to. I realise now that she had overworked and not taken care of herself.

I think about a lot of things now...

Can we balance work and home ?

Yes ! why not...but we do compromise , we need to figure it out and see if we can prioritise on what we can compromise.

I can never be happy, if I end up being a house wife. I love my work , when I come back home , I would love to do the best for my family..which is actully everything for me, however, I do not have enough time or energy to do that. I try my best though....

It is purely an individual perception whether we are doing the work-life balance well or not. No one other than ourselves know , how good are we with that.

I really appreciate all the inputs given by our friends here. They are definitely very valuable.

Can we balance ? Yes we can by compromising many things.

Take a break, go to starbucks, have your notepad open , pen down , what you are doing, what are you compromising, Is it worth it? can you change some stuff, what are you getting, what are you loosing ...etc etc...think 5 yrs from now, 10yrs from now ...

Just be informed on what are you doing instead of trying to justify what you are doing. Because, anyways wether we want or not , what needs to be done is to be done.

This will atleast help us be clear headed.

Let's all try to be happy in what ever we do and all Moms let's take care of our health. As I am typing this line, I remember that I forgot my multivitamin for today and I never did my yoga for the past 4 months !!!!

Let's try and keep on trying to balance our work and home...

Thanks for your time guys...

2. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Very much. In the early stages I found life difficult balancing both. Moreover my husband was very idealistic those days. He would not like the presence of a top servant at home. He believed there is nothing which cannot be managed alone without external help Blieve me we use to keep my daughter in a creche as a two month old child. Imagine life in mumbai. Our work schedule extended upto 1.30 AM in the morning. By the time we could get a wink of sleep it was time to get up and start the day. But those experiences made me more tough and good in fixing priorities.
    I have alwas good and efficent in my profession. But not so good in domestic front. I learnt to cook through him.

Now my daughter is also a working woman. At times she too finds difficult to adjust. To top it she is a TV journalist working at odd hours and reaching home at odd hours. Our advice is-Be systematic. But she is a good cook and a good worker. Yet there are times she cannot cope up with the pressures of life.

My experience says it is only a passing phase if we really want both the things to go together. kanaka:idea:idea:idea:idea

3. Elavaras

Elavaras New IL'ite

Hi,

It's really good. I am also a working woman and trying to balace my home as i am a mom of 13 months old baby. Because of some issues, i am going to shift my home near to my office. Now for travelling to office itself tooks lot of time nearly 4 hrs per day. So i think i will try to go with your tips. It may help a lot. Thanks again.