1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can we give handpound rice kanji as first food?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by ridgemma, Jan 16, 2010.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

gemma, the popular opinion is that by weighing down the milk with cereals you can keep it from coming up the oesophagus. This has been the most popular opinion since the 60s because formula feeding was more common in those days. That was AAP's recommendation till recently. So what he said was not blindly said, but he perhaps has not come to see the newer recommendations.
    Current research suggests that breastmilk being easily digestible does not stay too long in the stomach and if you use physical measures like keeping the baby upright along with medications if needed, it is possible to handle reflux.
    DS had reflux from day 3 till around 4.5 to 5 months and again once we started solids. The advice to us was very clear: we need to go slow with solids. What V suggested here was also our paed's recommendation. As my kid was also early, we had to wait longer till he was 6 months adjusted age for him to be ready for solids. If anything preemies need BM for longer time than babies born on or near their due dates. A lot of moms with preemie kids that I knew of actually started solids closer to the first year, because their children were not yet ready for it.

2. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

yes, Tikka
    me too for it...I don wanna buy the argument of give solids early so that the baby will "look" healthy...my mom and DH were for it...simply said "I know as a mom what I am doing"

THough now after DD is fine after 10 days of solid feed, I am gonna wait...and continue BM and 1 solid feed

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

honest answer - I dont know why your ped said that. Atleast Anitha's ped I can understand because thickening used to be a very popular thing (like Krithika has pointed out already); but even thickening is not popular in India in general - havent seen many pedis here advocating it. The one thing I have observed is that senior docs in India (not only pedis) very often do not stay up-to-date or even if they do they choose to follow their expereince rather than the recommendations. Sometimes this can be a good thing as they dont rush to embrace every new drug/method but sometimes, it can also mean that they advise things not in keeping with current recommendations. Maybe I will become that way too - I dont know.; I like to hope not :)

V.

4. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

I am the skeptical kind, as every mother, when it comes to her child...especially nutrition...

A special thanks to Tikka and Vanathi for the research and willingness to share info...mommies like me needn't reinvent...:)

5. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Should I try brown or red (rice) for rice kanji at 6 months? Which is better? Which is easier to digest?

6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya, DD got constipated with homemade rice cereal, and it was runny consistency, i think she cant handle rice, will only try it after a month or more.we just used the regular rice though.

i am thinking DD is one of those who gets constipated easily. she has even got constipated once while being exclusively fed. her stools was not hard pellet kind but definitely like adult poop... and she was into tears passing them