Can mods see my private info?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback!' started by troubledmom, May 20, 2015.

1. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

I really like this site because it is anonymous and we can post our thoughts freely.

But recently someone told me that the long time posters who become moderators or other high positions in the site can see the info we, the regular posters provide -- I mean the real email address, real name which we use to sign up and get our usernames. She was mentioning as if it is fact but I could not believe it is possible. To clear my doubt, I thought of asking here directly to find out if it is truth. Can the long time posters who get the mod privileges check up on us and find out who we are? Can you please let me know. Thanks.

2. MyselfandI

MyselfandI Silver IL'ite

A mod can get to know your email, other than that no personal info will be known to any one

1 person likes this.
  3. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

How do you know? Are you sure? Or are you guessing this must be the case.

If above is true, I am not happy about it. Why should the mod get access to poster's email address? What is the need? Why they cant use the pm facility to contact if necessary?

4. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,

If you are really worried about privacy, you can use a new email account which does not have your name and cannot be related to you.

1 person likes this.
  5. MyselfandI

MyselfandI Silver IL'ite

Do you stop using google? just because they know your gmail id/username, same applies here chill....

GoneGirl suggested a good idea , try it,

as per my knowledge in anysite a moderator can get to know IP addresses and email id of the user

6. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@troubledmom,

Be assured Moderators / Super Moderators DO NOT have access to users email. They will communicate to the users ONLY via PMs or via posts in the forums.

1 person likes this.
  7. Induslady

@MyselfandI,

Let me also ask the same question...how do you know that Mods know your email? You seem to be very confident!

We cannot talk for other site, but this is NOT the case in Indusladies site! No Mods have access to users email, unless the user themselves have shared it with the Mod because of their personal rapport.

1 person likes this.
  8. MyselfandI

MyselfandI Silver IL'ite

For every website, the site administrators can know the users mail id, same with every social site like facebook, twitter or even google apps, its a common thing, without knowing such how can they communicate to the user for site promotions, discounts and all that.That's what i know from my knowledge i had with various sites

9. Induslady

MyselfandI,

The original question was about whether members who become "Moderators" will have access to users email address. For that the answer is NO.

Site's Administrators are different from Moderators.

1 person likes this.
  10. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

@Induslady

Thanks for weighing in. I am reassured to receive your answer. Sorry for the late reply but I got busy and didnt get time to come back to the site.

3 people like this.