1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Can H4 people are eligible for small scale food processing business

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by palitha, Feb 26, 2010.

1. palitha

palitha New IL'ite

Hi,

I am the mom for two kids. before kids I used to work, since the kids were small I stopped working, I was totally with kids for abt 31/2 years, but now-a-days I am thinking to do some thing else in addition to taking care of kids. As I am on h4 visa, can I do the small scale business like food processing which I can do at home....pls let me know if any body has any ideas and if any body already gathered any iformation abt it.

thanks
    palitha

2. shrmaruchi

shrmaruchi New IL'ite

Ideally.. a person with h4 visa... is not allowed to earn a single penny.. Its a risk.. which I am not sure ...if you want to take

ruchi

3. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Palitha

To the best of my knowledge (I've been in the US on an H4 visa for almost three years now), it is ILLEGAL to work here on an H4 visa. This includes working at home, or small businesses - nothing that brings in money is an acceptable activity for someone on an H4 visa.

Of course, this doesn't mean that some people don't break the law, but I would advise you to think carefully before you do. If you want to remain here in the US, and especially if you hope to one day change your visa status to something more permanent, it may be unwise to get involved in anything that would get you into legal trouble.

There's also the whole issue of living a principled and honest life, something that is important (or should be, anyway) to most people. Most religions and cultures have good ethics and honesty at their core, although, of course, we don't always follow these guiding principles.

I know being here on an H4 visa can be frustrating, but I would urge you to explore the proper channels for changing your visa status, and get a job only when it is legal for you to do so. Good luck!