1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can aerobic and weight lifting (interval toning) exercises reduce breastmilk?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by mommytobe, Mar 14, 2009.

1. mommytobe

mommytobe New IL'ite

I have started doing exercises from last 3 days and my DD is now 3 months old. But since last 3 days i also stopped taking fenugreek tablets and have started nursing her directly in evenings and nights instead of pumping and giving in bottle. I see my supply is not all that it used to be when i pumped. maybe since i am nursing her and after every feed i still pump just to check how much i can make and when i get less i am worrying. But it could be that she drank enough and thats why i am pumping less. Or could it be because of workout.

Has anyone ever felt that because of workout BM has reduced ?

Thanks,
    Shweta

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Shweta,

I didn't start exercises this early (around 8 months for my first born; with second one no hope!). I was told that until i wean off i should do exercises only lightly. meaning i shouldn't be left sweating and panting for breath after a session... so within that limits.

Latha

3. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Shweta,

If you pump immediately after a feeding you will get less than if you only pumped because baby has taken in the milk. However if you pump in between two feedings it is the equivalent of nursing more frequently and your body should make more milk in response to the increased demand. I don't believe workout should affect the quantity of milk, are you drinking enough fluids?

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I think as long as your exercises are light,say walking on treadmill for 30 minutes,you should be fine.With my second one,I started exercise after about 2 1/2 mnths but only walking on treadmill.I did not notice any decrease in BM supply.

Maybe you can try doing only low impact aerobics for some time..I am doing that these days(my child is 13 mnths).I do for about 45 minutes , 4 days a week.

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Shwetha, I did very light yoga, but it is safe to do light exercises with weighlighting... though I am not sure what is interval toning. You're motivating me to go a gym and do something about the lower back pain.:thumbsup
    Anyway, I thought you may find this article an interesting read.
    Especially this passage:

The study they were talking about says the level of lactic acid increases after exercising, but as the article suggests there is not sufficient proof of that. All lactivists encourage moms to do some exercise - whatever their comfort level is. One friend of ours encourages moms to start exercising after the third PP month, others the fourth PP month.
    I am sure it is not weight loss but getting toned you're aiming at - nonetheless I thought I will put this in for the benefit of lurkers: most moms do lose weight while breastfeeding if you eat sensibly.
    Hope that helps

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  6. mommytobe

mommytobe New IL'ite

Thanks everyone,

I feel i am getting less milk because i am pumping right after feeding. But if i pump in between nursing session then i worry would my body be ready with enough for her next session ?

I am talking about toning and not losing weight.

Thanks,
    Shweta

7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Shweta,

If you pump in between feedings initially you may not have enough for the baby for the next feeding but gradually your body will make more (also if LO eats less she will want to nurse again quickly) in response to the increased demand. However you don't want to overdo it, since oversupply and engorgement will cause issues with nursing. You can keep pumping though.