Calcium and Iron Tablets

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Shilpa Pratheep, May 25, 2010.

1. Shilpa Pratheep

Shilpa Pratheep Bronze IL'ite

HI all,

I am in my 2nd trimester, my doc asks me to continue with folic acid for another month and will start calcium and Iron tablets only next month, but I know people taking calcium and iron tablets right from beginning of 4th month.
    So let me know from when have you been take Cal n Iron tabs and when did you stop folic acid tablets?

2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Shilp,

Congrats on your pregnancy.Dear it all depends on your body.Do not compare and get worried.Each have their own method of practise.Trust your doctor and enjoy your pregnancy.I have no clues of the duration but i'm still continuing my iron,calcium and folic acid tablets.If you have any doubts raise a query to your gynec and resolve.Not a time to worry.Enjoy :thumbsup

3. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shilpa

Congradulations on your pregnancy Dear!!!!

I was asked to take folic acid tablets till the completion of my 1st trimester..and then with iron and calcium tabets (it had folic acid )which i took till my delivery date...

As cinduja says, there is no need to worry...dont compare ur body condition with others...Believe your doctor and incase u feel some clarification for this,consult ur doctor..she would be the correct person to answer ur query

4. deepd

deepd Gold IL'ite

Shilpa,

Congrats for your pregnancy.
    they put you on Cal and iron tabs after first trimester. My doc stopped my iron in third trimester but that my Hb went low so she again put me on Iron . Am taking iron, ca and folic acid now.
    so dont worry and try to eat healthy food along with these supplements.

5. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

Hi Shilpa,

Congrats!

Usually folic is started even before you conceive, OBs recommend taking it when you are planning to conceive. For me, since I had a lot of body pain and tiredness, the OB stopped folic after 12 weeks and put me on multivitamins (it has folic) and calcium. Around 16- 18 weeks appointment after a blood test for hemoglobin she prescribed iron.

If you have the same conditions (severe pain and tiredness) you can request your OB to prescribe these. Infact, during the last months even when these didn't help my OB prescribed B-Complex.

all the best

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  6. Shilpa Pratheep

Shilpa Pratheep Bronze IL'ite

Yes I am taking Folic acid for past 6 months, but as i know I am not take enough calcium in diet i just have one glass of milk, cant have it @ night as I throw up same is the case with beetroots or spinach, I am quite concered about by calcium n iron supplement. I told this to my doc but she said it is ok, how ever O feel its not ok hence posted this query.