1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Buying original paintings from needy artists in India

Discussion in 'Paintings' started by geerek, Apr 22, 2010.

1. geerek

geerek New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    We are moving to an apartment in the coming month. I would be going to India this Sep '2010. All this while in US, we have just lived our lives as nomads (not much home decor, buying second hand stuff, etc). This time I wanted to make sure that the apartment is pleasing to the eyes and also conveys my taste for arts especially Indian.

I have seen and heard a lot about how artists with good talent move to other occupations since it does not pay well. But there are still people who continue painting through difficult circumstances because that is what they are good at.
    My wish is to buy original paintings from such artists. That would be my way of encouraging and saluting their passion for arts. I don't want to buy from famous, well-known artists.

Reason for this post is to get inputs from you guys to guide me to such artists in India. I have no idea on where I can find such people (in Chennai).
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Geetha Balaji

2. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

I am not sure how it is at Chennai, but while I am in Pune, we get these Exhibitions that run a month long or so and all. These exhibitions move around all the major cities in India (so may be you will have one such exhibition in Chennai too). These exhibitions have shown some impressive works of the original artists (usually regional/tribal works - like Oriya people have come a long way to make and sell patachitra paintings, Madhubani, Warli, etc).

They are usually small town people trying to a make living out of the art, and not from high-end art houses. And I have to tell you that are really wonderful at it (I have bought miniature paintings and patachitra's from them only). That way, if you have these exhibitions / art fairs - you might find something very very INDIAN and fascinating from these people!

Sorry if that wasn't of much use :hide:
    Best of luck!:thumbsup

3. Mridz

Mridz New IL'ite

hi,

I too make paintings ... tho iam not a famous artist ..i do it need based and as per your requirements ... do contact me if you are interested ...Please contact me through private messages.

cheers

Admin Note: You can exchange contact information only through private messages. Private message subscription is just $10/year. Each private message subscription comes with a free gift subscription, which you can give to the other person and you both can contact each other instantly. More Details.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2010