Buying gold in US

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by Revathi, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Revathi

Revathi Senior IL'ite

Friends,
    We are living in US for 2 years.Iam planning to buy some 22k gold jewels here.Can anyone suggest me,which place is suitable to buy gold either US or India(Both quality& price basis).If u have experience share with me pl.
    Regards,
    Shyamala.:idontgetit: :wave

2. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

HI Revathi.,
    I am directly coming to ur question.
    Buying gold in India & US is same.
    It costs same. & u will get good quality gold only.

Main thing is u have to bargain for good price.
    they will reduce price if u bargain for reasonable prices.
    check these sites for gold prices.
    1.. Kitco - Gold Precious Metals - Buy Gold Sell Gold, Silver, Platinum - Charts, Graphs, Prices, Quotes, Gold Stocks, Mining Stocks, bullion dealers
    2.. Precious Metals Trading - Investing in Precious Metals - Precious Metals Quotes

see the market rate add 30$ to that & divide by 31.1gms.that will be the price per gram for arnoumnets in jewelry shops.
    I bought gold here in NJ.
    & one more thing they will not reduce price much for small small items(means below 20 gms items)
    But if u r going to buy big items like Necklaced set, Haaram ,Bangels..then they will give for good price(same as Indian price).
    PM me if u want detail info.

3. Revathi

Revathi Senior IL'ite

Hi Sunikris,
    Thanks for ur suggestions. it's very useful to me and u cleared all my doubts.Thanks again.
    :-D :wave

4. perfectly_perfect

perfectly_perfect Silver IL'ite

Hey Sunikris,
    Dear you dint calculate making charges. Dont they charge making here?
    Thanks

5. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

6. kssc22

kssc22 New IL'ite

I always buy through AJPM.com. This site is secured and you can lock the price and need to send the check within 3 days i guess. I bought from this site almost 10 times, and always received without any problem.
    Soni

7. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello,
    You will find many jewellary shops in major cities or majority of Indian's populated cities.
    Prices would be same compared to India and US.
    If you go NJ, chicago, Atlanta, California : you may find many shops, the designs would good (compare to India) because at US the jewels would come from singapore, india, china etc.

Good luck.
    Punitha

8. happyreading

happyreading New IL'ite

I do not think the gold jewellery prices are the same in India and USA. In the bay area shops (indian jewellers) they have always been telling that the prices vary because the jewels are made in Singapore and not in India and so the making charges are high.

Also, small jewels like stud, pendants, rings etc are sold 'by piece' and not by the 'weight and gold rate'. Not just that, machine cut bangles and some jewels (on sale) are sold for less price per gram than designer jewels. For example, a machine cut bangle ranges from $23-26 and other jewels range from $27-35.

I also found out that the gold rate (for jewels) per gram varies shop to shop. Bhindi jewellers have their jewels made in USA itself and hence the prices per gram varies from $26-$40.

I think buying jewels from India will save atleast $200-$300.

The best is: Buying coin is the same everywhere. For jewels, people who visit India every year, its best to buy from India and for those who do not visit that often, buy it in US

9. anjalika400

anjalika400 Junior IL'ite

Hi. Can you give me an idea how much a simple necklace(wt 15grams) with a tassel in the back might cost in USA?Please let me know the ballpark price inclusive of tax and making charges?

About adding 30 usd to the current market price of gold ..why so? can somepone plese explain?

Also any idea about "Totaram Papalal & Sons Jewelers" based on NJ ? I am plannig to but something from their online site. Feedback regarding price,quality,service etc. will be a great help.
    Thanks In advance.

10. surya123

surya123 Senior IL'ite

Re: Buying Gold Jewellery in USA

hey anjaliiiii

i ahave brought some bangles from totaram ......... ordered online... and got them.....they are good but not as good as seen in site.they elarge and make them look more beautiful.... their service is good.....quality i cannot test... price is ok......not too high.... not reasonable....... if u have any plans of going to india u can buy there......if not u can go ahead with totaram.....