Buying Ghee In Usa?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sneha1985, Apr 30, 2023.

1. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

Hello,

Growing up in India, I was showering in ghee.. not literally, but we lived close to a cowshed/stable, used to get fresh milk everyday which produced a huge amount of cream. We hardly brought butter/ghee from outside back then and we had more ghee than oil at our home.

I know people shy away from ghee these days because of diets and weight control, but I noticed I was more healthy when I ate that pure ghee than the oil. I feel ghee here is very expensive, so I use very little and try to use oil otherwise. I tried making it from butter a few times, but my last batch went bad.

If you are using ghee too, where do you it from or do you make it? I always see 1ltr of bottles at Indian store. Was trying to find a big bottle, but never saw it.

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. curlytweethere

curlytweethere Platinum IL'ite

I have started making ghee at home.I get the butter from bjs / Costco. Kerrygold is supposed to be good

Thyagarajan and sneha1985 like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I buy ghee from Trader Joe’s as I don’t use much, but the ones in the Indian store are fine. Some Costco locations also sell ghee.

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

We buy Bhagubari special gawa Ghee (a large bottle) every month from Indian grocery store. Despite the heat of Florida, it is always frozen and hence I am not sure how healthy it is to take it. I don't take it but my MIL can't eat without ghee.

5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I make fresh homemade ghee with organic butter unsalted. Kerry gold,nature promise I buy.

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Since you are by yourself, I recommend making ghee with one or two sticks of butter and freezing the rest of the butter. Ghee is easy to make fresh and even though it has keeping quality if you don’t let all of the water evaporate, it can go rancid.
    The frozen butter sticks can be later used to make ghee. Just add it to a pan and heat as usual. The sell by date on the box is also the freeze by date. Once you freeze it, butter won’t get rancid. I always put butter in the freezer and only have one stick sitting in the fridge for regular use.

7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

Renowned nutritionist Rujuta Diwekar has been advocating healthy, traditional eating for always. She believes in the perfect blend of grandma’s advice and science even in this age of diets and abstinence.

Her opinions and advice on some of the most frequently asked questions vis-à-vis food and health are valued by indian celebrities that includes billionaires like Ambanis.

Cow ghee from brands Krishna & Amul are good all over india.

sneha1985 likes this.
  8. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

Yes I probably had some water content left in it. It tasted more like butter than ghee and that should have given me an idea that something could be wrong. I have a hard time understanding when to stop the gas while making ghee. I will probably make it at home too since those bottles are more expensive especially during festivals. I make sweets at home during Diwali which takes lots of ghee.

Laks09 and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

Yes, I have read her book and do agree with what's she has listed in it. I don't follow her diet but agree on eating wholesome and local foods. My ancestors have eaten lots of milk products such as ghee, dahi, milk and whole foods, lived longer and disease free. They definitely didn't have sedentary lifestyle and had to move around, but with regular exercise and eating these items in limit shouldn't hurt us unless someone is lactose intolerant from the start.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. SaumyaV

SaumyaV Senior IL'ite

A friend's German husband (they are both German), makes ghee at home in Berlin! I can ask them how he does it. provided one has the time.

sneha1985 likes this.