Butterfly Gardening,

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by Shireen88, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Shireen88

Shireen88 New IL'ite

One of the joys of having a garden is seeing the butterflies take wing among the flowers. By adding a few new plants to your backyard you may attract up to 50 different types of butterflies,

Start by seeding part of your lawn with a wildflower seeds. Wildflowers are a good food source for butterflies and their caterpillars.

Aim for a wide spectrum of flower colors. Some butterflies prefer oranges, reds and yellows, while others like whites, purples and blues.

As a rule, simple flowers are better than fancy double-hybrids, offering an easy-to-reach nectar source.

I would really wish to see tips and comments from the IL's who are interested in gardening..

2. keerat45

keerat45 Senior IL'ite

Did you know that All the butterflies do not get attracted to all kinds of flower. Well if you are very familiar with the kinds of butterflies then I would love to share this piece of information with you..

American Painted Lady: Everlasting, Daisy, Burdock
    American Snout: Hackberry
    Anise Swallowtail: Queen Anne's Lace
    Baltimore Checkerspot: Turtlehead, False Foxglove, Plantain
    Black Swallowtail: Parsley, Dill, Fennel
    Clouded Sulphur: Clover

Not all the plants are available in the market but you might get them if ordered.

Please let me know your Feedback..

3. amandeepkohli

amandeepkohli New IL'ite

Sounds interesting! But I wonder if there are as many species of butterflies in Delhi....:confused2:.
    Can you please get the Indian names for these flowers, so that we can at least inquire about them in the nursery?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

4. bappika007

bappika007 Senior IL'ite

Hi Amandeep.. well I have some interesting fact to share, Hope it helps you make a beautiful Butterfly garden.

Butterflies can see red, green, and yellow. So if your garden contain flowers of these colors you sure can attract some butterflies to your garden.

First and foremost, you need to know that butterflies are cold-blooded creatures; therefore any hot or warm climate is going to be the best possible place for butterflies to live.

So if you have planted In winters and expecting some butterflies it is difficult to find any in the garden. One of the main things that influences where butterflies live is the food source.

If you keep a colored watered sweetened with honey the butterflies will surely come.

But above all it just needs patience..

5. jasmine1763

jasmine1763 Senior IL'ite

It is truly a very nice hobby I feel..

Gardening for hummingbirds and butterflies is easy and rewarding. Wild birds, and particularly songbirds, will flock to the insect-rich blooms and the dying seed heads of spent flowers.

[SIZE=-1]It just needs to fill our yard with a multitude of colors and texture and smells[/SIZE]...

[SIZE=-1]For butterflies, go for butterfly bush, lantana and verbena. For hummingbirds, pick from red tubular flowers - coral honeysuckle, hamelia patens, salvias, etc.[/SIZE]