1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

But I am growing... Chitti

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by tuffyshri, Aug 15, 2010.

1. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

This time I am going about my little nephew (my elder sis's son) who is in U.K.G.

His school conducted an orotorical contest in Tamil on behalf of Independence Day, and he also paid Rs. 10 and participated in it. There were topics given and my sis chose 'nandri marappadhu nandrandru' (rough translation - should not forget to be thankful to the person who had helped you). She prepared the body of the speech with a story which is -
    "Once there was a dove that was sitting near a river bank. It saw a small ant drowning in the water and was fighting for life. The dove immediately threw a piece of leaf towards the ant, the ant climbed on it and safely reached the land. It thanked the dove and promised that it will never forget this deed.
    Later the dove was sitting in a tree and was aimed by a hunter. The dove was unaware of it but the ant spotted the hunter. It rushed to his leg and started biting him. Distracted by this the hunter turned his attention and meanwhile the dove flew away"
    After this, he had to say "Thank you one and all for providing this opportunity"

After intensive training by my sister and her MIL, he was all set. On the D-Day, he did well and returned home only to find that he did perfect but just that he substituted dove with crow (?) When enquired, he answered that "What amma... all the previous contestents were using this dove only to recite different stories. So I thought I should be different and that is why I changed the bird. I was thinking which bird can I substitue, and found pity on our crow". My sister was like :bonk
    Then she asked if he expressed the words of gratitude to conclude the speech, to her surprise he said NO. Why? Read his reply - "Because it was not that they gave this opportunity. I paid 10 rupees to join this contest because I was interested. In fact they must thank me!!!" You know how my sister would have reacted. So was I! :bowdown

2. jaishvats

jaishvats Bronze IL'ite

Good one!! What different thinking at this age....kudos to your nephew....and yeah they were collecting money for him to participate ...no wonder he thought why he needs to thank ha ha ,.... and taking pity on the crow that was soooo chweet!!!

3. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

ha ha ha Smart Kid shri :)

4. madhoo78

madhoo78 Bronze IL'ite

nice write up ! thanks for sharing.
    your nephew also like your chinni ushar party! smart kids!

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Tuffy

Nice write up. Now a days kids are smart
    love
    viji

6. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Tuffy,

Really your nephew is grown. What a thinking. There is nothing wrong in him not saying thank u. After getting Rs.10/- only he was admitted to speak. So no thank u. Superb I enjoyed it. Today, i am going to share this with my kids.

andal

7. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Tuffy,

Smart kid!! enjoyed reading it.

Akila

8. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite