1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Burning Money

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Burning Money

Yesterday' news paper had some peice of news.First the news as below INDULGENCE THAT'S SURE TO INVITE RIDICULE - TOI dt. 9/10/07 page 1

London- The Moyida Nightclub, a hangout of celebrities, footballers and the super rich,on Saturday launced the world's most expensive Christmas cocktail,costing 35000 pounds ( 25 lakhs) a glass.The drink will be mixed in the presence of Two security guards, who will then watch over the client's table until it is finished.At the bottom of the crystal glass is a 11 carat white diamond ring.

We have something similar here in Jaipur too_One of the walkers in the park, works in a 5 star Hotel here, and this is what he has to say to me.A black Label Scotch Bottle Duty Free is 29 dollors x 40 = appx Rs.1200/- of which 16 pegs come out of 60 ml come out frome the 1 litre bottle.This works out to appx 80/- per peg.This is charged in the 5 star at 2700 plus 18% tax, so thats 3200 a peg.The full bottle if consumed ,betwees say 4 friends, works out in the 5 star at 51000/- per bottle.

I said who must be drinking at these rates, and he gave me the names of a few known people, some acquaintances,who are not that rich, but love to show off.Drinking the scotch at home is so much cheaper, than wasting money in 5 stars.Yes if i have a buyer, then never mind.But even in that case, we drink from home and go, and just order the food there.This is like burning money.

The Best is what i read about Amitabh and Abhishek,last week.Before Ash and Abhishek wedding, father and son went to London,and shopped from Harrods for the wedding.They returned to India,crossed the Green Channel, and came home.This happened in May this year.And last week, in December, they were served notices from the Customs, that they have brought dutibale goods worth 1 crore, and did not pay the duty at the customs, and they were sent a bill of 36 lakhs,which Amitabh duly paid up, and said that he was not aware that they had to pay duty for goods brought in .The goods in question as [per the notice, were Men's assessories.

Now the question is how did the Customs Dept find out,that Amitabh and Abhi had goods worth a crore, where is the proof, and how did Amitabh pay up quietly, when there is no proof, as they walked out with the bags thru the green channel.Think over Guys.I think i know the answer.

In london, if u buy abnything in the city,keep the receipt and the goods, and at the airport go and claim refund of the VAT,and i guess it is 17% of the amount that is refunded.My wife and kids had taken the refund when they were there a few years back.Amitabh must have declared the 1 crore goods there, and got a 17 lakh refund, and that information must have been leaked to the customs in India with the proof, and this si why Amitabh did not dispute this at all.

I have heard there are perfumes that cost 1 lakh and above too.What is the need for Abhishek to spray such expensive perfumes on himself, unless hemust he smelling lousy all the time ! And Aishwaraiya loves him for himself, and not for his perfumes.Imagine this is the tip of the iceberg of what these guys bought on one trip,how much more they must have spent on the wedding.

A year or two back,4 friends went to a London Lunch and spent something like 1.25 crores for a lunch, and got their names in the Guiness Book for the most expensive lunch.They had very expensive antique wines and what not, just to create the record.

I know it is their money, and they can burn it for all that i care.For me, personally, such expensive food and drinks will never go down my throat,even if someone else is paying for it.No wonder God gave the Billions to Bill Gates and not me.I should follow the old saying " Ya Khuda Mera Kharcha Bada" ( Dear God, increase my expenses), because as i spend more, God will give me more income to spend.Well i somehow dont agree, and remain where i am.Serves me Right.

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji,
    I second your last line.
    We do call 'burning money' when the celebration for Diwali comes where we buy fire-crackers and enjoy. Now the prices of those are sky-rocketing! I think the phrase in Tamil -- 'kaasai kari aakkaadhae' ( don't burn your money) fits more here, as the end result of fire crackers are burnt paper bits.

sriniketan

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sri,

thanks for yr first comments.After 75 views i am glad for yr first comments.Yes we litrally burn our money with firecrackers.

A friend of mine is fond of very expensive perfumes.Nothing less than 25000 willdo for him.8 cars and things like that.Every evening goes to 5 star for drinks and dinner.Says he luikes the atmosphere.

He is bandrupt today, and everythign besides the house is sold off, even his business is gone.

Well, what can we say to them.They are drowning, we are seeing, but they wont take our advise,so why waste our time.Regards.kamal

4. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Kamalji,

Going by the price tag of those expensive perfumes and wines makes me wonder as long as there are people to spend, there are people who can make them spend. Designer brands were created for these lavish shoppers. I was watching a programme on designer bags by Louis Vuitton. I thought if I were to ever buy such an expensive bag, the money I spend on it would leave me with nothing to keep inside the bag. I will end up carrying an empty bag bonk!

Probably Kabir Das had written this doha for lesser mortals who slog to make ends meet:

Saayee itna deejiye jame kutumbh samai
    mein bhi bhooka na rahoon, sadhu na bhooka jaaye.

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Nivedi,

Let me say i love the same Doha of kabir that u like.it say all that is there to say.

A similar saying is

Have enough to warm u, and not so much as to burn u.
    And the example of the purse is a damn good one.An empty expensive purse eh ! HAHA.

True really.Today most people are up to theuir necks in debt to credit cards and banks.We dont know the house they live in, or the cars they drive in,belong to them or to the banks.

Regards.kamal