1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Brigadier Shravan and Professor Rajbala:)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Promilla, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Promilla

Promilla Senior IL'ite

Brigadier Shravan and Professor Rajbala

At Bungalow No-13 A, Sadar Chowk, Jaipur, It was not a great sight, not even an unusual one to see Retired. Brigadier Shravan Rao, fretting! Old Hari and Geeta both hated that type of mornings but learned to remain silent, attentive and waiting for the storm to pass. The shrilling, commanding and authoritative voice was echoing from every room to their ears and both of them were standing attentively with downward glances.

After setting his cap, picking his stick and without having breakfast of Corn Flakes, milk and muffins he left the house with a growl. His lean, thin body was erect like a bamboo. The terror vanished at once and both Hari and Geeta looked at each-other and smiled heaving a sigh of relief! Their fault was they simply forgot to remind Brig, to get muffins!

‘Geeta, our master needs someone in his life who can melt him down a little.’

‘You are right ji, but who would like to be with such a man whose temper is like camphor!’ Geeta laughed.

‘Geeta, he is a nice man with golden heart.’

‘But ji, it will take a lifetime to see that goodness’ she chuckled.

‘Geeta…’ Hari chided.

Now I, who was listening to their everyday vows, thought and nodded my head…why not? This man needs to mellow down and deserves a happy life. I must start taking over so that poor Hari and Geeta breathe at ease. Hari deserved a Paramveer Chakra for his bravery; after all staying with this kind of man for forty years is no less than staying in a jungle with a hungry lion! I was bored too so needed some action!

Dining table of house no 607 F, Civil lines, Jaipur, was loaded with poori channa, lassi, and a girl of nearing forty was relishing every bite. Woman? You said woman? Yes, I know a middle aged female is a woman but this particular; Professor Rajbala Mahaeshwari refuses to admit that. She says if a girl is not married than she always remains a girl, never becomes a woman! Her logic! What to do? So let’s address her Rajbala instead of getting into the confusion of gal and a woman.

Somehow the contrast between Brigadier and Professor attracted my attention. They were poles apart, she a roly -poly, fair, deeply buried in books all the time, a hardcore foodie, spinster of forty and he, lean, tall and disciplined, gentleman above forty; only age was in their favor. My action time started with a plan in my mind, you know I am very good at it. It takes me just few moments to change a life completely and here I was changing two lives in each other’s directions so it will take me a little more than few minutes. The drama which was going to unfold escalated my heart beat. Oh, forgive me, I forgot to introduce myself. I am a part of everyone; no life can escape without stumbling upon me. People call me Fate or Destiny and I love my job.

Obarai’s Pastery Shop was the most famous one, and what could be the best place other than this to fix a meeting? Brigadier Shravan was a muffin freak, but Rajbala hated sweets. It was her colleague’s birthday and bakery was near her place so she volunteered to get the cake. (It was all my doing, folks!) She was coming out of the shop, balancing her cake box and purse and straight collided with our dear Shravan. In a flash the box flied and landed on Shravan’s balding head, jumping from there on Miss Rajbala’s spotless white kurta and made a delicious chocolate graffiti. Everything took few seconds. Both were fuming, as expected, but being a gentleman Brig Shravan apologized when he saw the Happy Birthday flying in the air from cake and landing straight on Rajbala’s shoulder.

‘I am sorry, Mam.’

If looks could kill, Shravan would have been dead for sure!

‘From your attitude, it doesn’t look that you really are! ‘

‘It wasn’t my mistake, still, I apologies.’

‘NOT your fault? It was my fault that I collided with you? ‘

‘It was an accident.’

‘Oh yes,’

She started wiping the cream off her face and clothes, when a salesman handed them the tissues. Both were in terrible mood and state.

‘Err, should I buy you another cake?’

‘NO,’ she said curtly and went out of the shop. He watched her with great contempt.

‘Ill mannered woman!’ He swore under his breath. Thank god the words were dead before they reached her ears, otherwise another battle was due.

After buying his muffins, Brigadier bought a cake, the gentleman in him who saw the lady in distress could not forget the contempt in her eyes. He requested the salesman to home deliver it to Rajbala’s house.

Looking at the cake for the umpteenth time, she pushed the ‘Kuch kuch hota hai’ feeling away, but the chocolaty Sorry kept on filling her with mushy feelings whole night. Whole night she dreamed of the most favorite love stories where she was a heroine and Brigadier, hero in his uniform.

The dawn was beautiful and Brigadier was leaving after a breakfast of his favorite muffins for his walks when Hari handed him a pink envelope with a faint smell of scent. He was surprised to get such a girlish thing for the first time in his life. And the words started dancing in front of his eyes with such fervor that he felt a pain in his chest and cancelled his morning walk.

‘Terribly sorry for the mishap, you were right, it was just an accident. But a very sweet one, I still can’t get over the chocolaty smell off meJ’

And readers, after few days of morning walks together and few more mushy and strange kind of feelings later, Brigadier proposed Professor and one fine day, Hari n Geeta got a full week off first time in their lives. Brigadier and professor opted for a quite honeymoon at home only. Muffins were forgotten when he tasted the home made delicacies of his wife.

I too must leave now, to tell you honestly; it was funny to hear him laughing like a teenager and her blushing even on small pretext. But this is what I planned for …!

2. vgovinda

vgovinda Silver IL'ite

This is soooo beautiful. I love the way the narrator has been defined as destiny instead of a person. Its sooooo beautiful.

3. Promilla

Promilla Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot, vgovinda, glad that you enjoyed this blog:)))
    cheers
    promilla

4. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

hahah! That is a sweet story. I loved the part of struggling with kuch kuch hota hain feelings...:). Enjoyed it Promilla or should I call you Madam Destiny! Your narration as always.....enjoyable.

5. Promilla

Promilla Senior IL'ite

Haha...knot to share...many many thanks for the beautiful comment:)) I would prefer promilla, madam destiny is bit too much for me:))))
    Delighted that you enjoyed that kuch kuch hota hai feeling:))
    love
    promilla

6. Monsi

Monsi Bronze IL'ite

7. Promilla

Promilla Senior IL'ite

Thanks a TON, Monsi:))
    cheers
    promilla