breathing trouble while lying down

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by ptamil2007, Dec 29, 2007.

1. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I am having the following problem for the past few days. Thought will ask your opinions on this.
    I have completed 33 weeks and now while lyin down, after few minutes, I start coughing and its dry cough (I dont have cold, flu..) And if immediately I feel suffocated that I cant breathe. Even coughing doesnt happen and momentarrily there is breathing trouble.
    Even from deep sleep, I have been getting up like this. First day my husband didnt understand what was happening, he also got scared for a moment.
    Since then past 3-4 days he immly gives me water and after a few moments I am alright. I didnt pay much attention to it, I thot its a general cough or something like that.
    But today while sleeping in the afternoon also it happened, so I am kind of wondering why.
    Baby movement is ok, I dont feel any other trouble as such.
    Tomm or by monday I shall be calling up the nurse to tell her the symptoms.

Can you give me your inputs on this please?

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Pavithra,
    Most likely what is hapenning is that your uterus is pushing upwards against your diaphragm (that is the muscle separating the chest from the abdomen and it moves up and down when we breathe) when you lie down and so you are having trouble breathing. When you sit/stand, gravity will push your uterus forward and down and it will not interfere with breathing so much.After 35/36 weeks the uterus will reach the top of the abdomen and then fall forward and the breathing will get easier. Also after 36 weeks the baby will start to move down into the pelvis and take the pressure off your upper abdomen. Anyway no harm in checking with your ob as well. (She may check to make sure that there isnt too much fluid inside.) Try to sleep in a semi-reclining position. That will help with the cough and the heartburn.

Vanathi.

3. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Vanathi for the quick information. I am much relieved of tension now :thankyou2: