1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Breast Milk Refrigerating Need Help!!

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Ammu2886, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Ammu2886

Ammu2886 Gold IL'ite

Dear Ladies,
    I need some help on storing breast milk and using it.
    I am planning to introduce bottle feed for my baby 5months old with expressed milk.
    1. After expressing for how many hours can I use it with out refrigerating.?
    2. How many hours can I refrigerate maximum?

2. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

It's better to consume freshly expressed breastmilk within an hour or so . For efficient pumping , I would recommend a high grade electric pump as the work is less and the output is much better . Your work place may have it so find out about that .

You can refrigerate or freeze for months . You get special bags to store milk or bottles can be used to . I used to always pump milk at work and before I used to leave home everyday when my kids were small but I also made sure there was enough backup milk in the freezer for emergency . Never microwave or heat breastmilk directly .

Please go to baby center and similar websites for more information . They have everything from how to express milk to freezing and thawing . Also if you bought any milk expressing pumps or electric kits , that will have a manual so go over that as well .

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    sindmani and Ammu2886 like this.
  3. happypoppy

happypoppy New IL'ite

I had a consultation with a Lactation consultant, as per her advice
    Without refrigerating milk can be consumed within 8 hrs in room temperature. I always make sure to use it within 3 hours or I put it back in the fridge.
    Refrigerated milk upto 3 days and milk from freezer upto 3 months.

Always make sure you date the bags properly, very easy to forget when taking care of an infant.

Ammu2886 likes this.
  4. Ammu2886

Ammu2886 Gold IL'ite

@Sunburst Thanks much for the information:blush:... Yeah I will go through sites as suggested.

5. Ammu2886

Ammu2886 Gold IL'ite

Thanks @happypoppy..
    :)