1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breast Milk ..... can a mother deny it !

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by shipika, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Shipika,

I too am of the opinion that you and your parents should back off on this issue. Your SIL is an adult and she can make her own choices. I understand that you all want the best for the baby, but gently assuring her of your support and other help if needed would be the best thing to do (if there are issues that can be resolved). You don't want to make the girl feel that all her in-laws are ganging up on her.

For whatever reason if she is not interested, let it be. A happy mother is the best mother, and you should not judge her love or parenting by whether she breastfeeds or not. All the advocacy organizations advocate breastfeeding when mutually desired by mother and child.

Also while breastmilk is the best nutrition for baby we are at an age where the second best choice, formula is not too bad (think of the time when there was no infant formula and babies who could not breastfeed were given diluted cow's milk and such).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
    Ansuya likes this.
  2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Ladies, you are going to have to excuse me here. I am not being judgmental of mothers who are formula feeding here, but let's keep the information on breastfeeding as accurate as we can.
    This statement is not correct. The WHO recommendation is breastfeeding exclusively for 6 months and up to 2 years at least. Extended breastfeeding or full-term breastfeeding can be continued (i.e. bfing after two years) when mutually desired by the nursing dyad. This link is for your reference. Breastfeeding has gotten devalued, as it is. The least we can do is provide moms the correct information she would need and the encouragement she would need to make that decision.

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Is there any way your SIL can hire a wet nurse (another woman to breastfeed the baby)? I know some places here in USA there are breastfeeding woman with a big supply that go to hospitals and feed the babies if there is some need for that. Only a thought.....

4. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

True, I stand corrected. I should have known you will catch that :)

Nobody is questioning the superiority of breastmilk over formula - however I solidly stand behind the rest of my post re:shipika's role.

Also, talking about encouragement, I believe shipika and her parents are doing more than gentle encouragement - I would even call them pushy. Beyond that it is the girl's choice and everyone needs to respect that.

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Pavarun, If I had been a native American my name would have been littlehawkeye ;-) ;-P

All moms here who have posted about advice verging on pushiness are right. Been there, had that been done unto me. In the end, you can only arm the mother with all the information she needs to make a decision. Once she has decided, a new mother does need whatever help you can give her.