1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking Down---indian Matchmaking

Discussion in 'TV' started by blindpup10, Aug 27, 2020.

1. netflx

netflx Gold IL'ite

I did add my comment to your question on why the matchmakers ignoring the clients' preferences. But you seem to brush it off. Seems like you only wanted to discuss listing out the obnoxious things we have seen on the show (which yes its obnoxious and quite apparent).

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Yes I only want to talk about the obnoxious things on the show and draw reference to personal experience and ,maybe add a comment how things can be changed.

3. Ramyarc

Ramyarc Silver IL'ite

This show talks about women needing to out of their way to please men so that they can have a married life. Thats exactly the norm in our society. When we are born we are raised with the perspective that we need to get married someday not that we need to become a Ceo or a chief minister someday.

So the guestion is whether we should raise our daughters to be financially independant and take care of themselves or grow up with the dream of getting married someday?

@blindpup10 - Do we want to raise more Ankita Bansals or Rupam kaurs??

blindpup10 likes this.
  4. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

Frankly speaking ,I felt this show is projecting only upper class /rich families.So we cannot say or come to any conclusion or any actual pattern of match making dilemma.If it had some middle class girls or not very successful people it would have been more authentic. I feel many things here is staged to please wider audience.
    My non Indian colleagues who watched this had the same feeling..

blindpup10 likes this.
  5. blindpup10

Amen!! This is exactly what our parents were taught and our gen was raised with an idea that girls have to get married first then give importance to their career. This internalizes in women to making themselves second class in prioritizing their needs and wants.
    Although all the girls were sent to professional schools in our gen, the girls are married off with a badge of degree attached.
    Girls are not let to be independent or to follow their dream.
    I have known so many girls while growing up choose a professional degree just to find a better groom and no intention of using the degree to be independent.
    Why does independent women scare our society?

The right question is How do we raise Ankita Bansal?

6. blindpup10

Yes, I felt that too when I was watching. I thought about the lifestyle of Pradhyumnan and Akshay are extravagant and not relatable.

But I could relate to the struggles of Nadia, Aparna, Anikta, Rupam, and Vysar.
    Hopefully, the second season has a diverse group of people.

7. Ramyarc

Ramyarc Silver IL'ite

Independant women do not really scare our society. We women, especially Indian women are scared to be independant. We are scared to live life without a partner and children. We are scared to invest in career with the risk of foreging family dreams. Our parents are scared on the prospects of daughters ending up alone without a partner to take care of them.

Independance is actually a double edged sword. There is a pride of living on your own tems but also the prospect of living alone. Indira Nooyi, one of the most successful women today has herself said that “women can’t have it all” :worried:.

And with all fairness to our male counterparts, when guys don’t earn a good salary or a job that looks good on paper, they also struggle to find a partner. We all remember Aparna’s mom calling Srini the loser....

Bubbles likes this.