1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Bottled water/Filter water/Tap water- What do you use?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Jithiks, Apr 6, 2008.

1. lucky_bandi

lucky_bandi New IL'ite

HI All,

I hv recently moved 2 Austin,Texas From charlotte,North carolina.I heard the water in Texas is nt good 2 use fr drinking purpose.the water here causes kidney problems.is it so?any one frm Texas plz advise me.normally i use Brita filter.is it safe?.my neighbours advised me 2 use bottle water fr drinking.

2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi lucky bandi,

If you are not sure about the purity of the water, it is better to used Filtered water or Bottled water.

As for different types of filters,prr has given a wonderful link for comparison for all the filters..here it goes..

Water Filter Comparisons

http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.net/W<WBR>aterFilter_Comparison.cfm

Comparing Bottled Water to Filtered Water
    http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.net/B<WBR>ottledWater_FilteredWater.cfm

Hope this helps !

Cheers
    Krithika

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  3. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi all,

we use the filtered tap water for cooking as well as drinking.

4. shine82

shine82 New IL'ite

Hi

We do not use the tap water at all except for doing the dishes. We fill up the water from the RO vending machines placed all over, like walmart, safeway and in fact we have one in our apt. complex too. The water is too hard over here in US, initially we did try the plain water, but we cudnt drink itat all, because even in India we had the Kent RO at our home, so once u start drinking that RO water, you cant drink any other water, that taste gets on you.

Take care and Shine

5. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Hi jithiks,
    I must have missed this thread for so long, don't know how!In our son's home in Vancouver,Canada....we had been boiling the tap water, cooled it and using it for cooking, drinking etc.But now he has got a filter,stainless steel...with two candles, and we use the filtered water to cook and drink.At times the water smells like chlorinated, as itwould in Chennai.But when filtered it tastes better.

6. srmc

srmc New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

We use Brita filter at home.I live in philly and here community water is fluoridated, so every now and then I do use tap water for drinking and cooking.The bottled water is for outside trips only.

Surbhi

7. lucky_bandi

lucky_bandi New IL'ite

HI Krithika,

Thanks a lot fr d wonderful link.

8. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Sorry ladies, did not check this thread for a long time.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond and sharing your inputs...Shree, Shine, kaluputti, Surbhi (srmc) & lucky_bandi.:)

As some of you mentioned, yes, tap water is very hard here in US. Filtering it does help in improving the taste for cooking & drinking.

Last I heard, there are filters to be installed for showers to reduce the hardness to prevent hair loss.

Have some of you purchased/used it?

9. alaivani

alaivani Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    Looks like this thread has not been commented on for a long time..
    I as an American have some interesting thoughts after reading your thoughts...
    Firstly I personally lived in Chennai for two years, so I know the term "filtered water" but I am not sure how common this term is in US... :) Far as I know Boiled Water is also not common in US among Americans anyhow not where I grew up and am living now in US. But, I do know in different parts of the country water tastes and smells different. People who live near coastlines for instance may not take water from tap only buy from store. Also, the water leaves deposits I believe because if it is city water it is often treated with flouride I believe. I think this leaves deposits. They say it's harmless, but who knows! :)
    Regarding the reusing of plastic water bottles..I never used to do it before I lived in India. In India, esp in Chennai, everyone did that! In US I noticed there are expiration dates on the bottles. Water doesn't expire, but the bottle does! They say that after the date on the bottle, chemicals from the bottle leak into the water. It makes sense...so be careful. That is one reason for the eco-plastics being made now.
    Since 2005 I visited India thrice (Kerala) as my husband's family is there. I never take tap water. I always have boiled or aquaguard. People think as an American I put myself at risk for taking boiled water, but we have to care for the water supply. There is ground water and rain water and some other water supply. My father in law says take water from that tap for tea, and cooking, so that is what I do. Other tap is not for ingesting, but cleaning, etc.
    Very interesting discussion in this thread!
    Jennifer

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
  10. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

we were using the drinking water can for drinking alone and for cooking the tap water,now we have bought a brita ultramax filter ,in which the filter has o changed evry 2 months and its good filtered water...far better than tap water..