1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Books I enjoyed the most...

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by manjula, Aug 23, 2005.

1. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Book Lovers,

I like the books of Authors like Ruskin Bond, R.K.Narayan, Kenneth Anderson and Jim Corbett.

My favourite is Ruskin Bond. He is a simple man of British origin who was born in Kasauli and spent most of his life in the hills near himalayas admiring nature, observing life around him. Although unmarried, he has adopted a large family and living in Mussorie.

In my school days in non-detail i have read ruskin bond's stories. ofcourse they were not in detail. after marriage i had the opprotunity of reading his books as my dear husband loves his books.we have a wonderful collection of his creations.

His stories are so simple and interesting.They are nostalgic and heart warming, full of charm. they are adventurous and thought provoking. It is suitable for children as well as adults.

Some of his creations which i like the most are

1. The Road to the Bazaar
    2. Dust on the Mountain
    3. Room on the roof
    4. My Father's tree in Dehra
    5. vagrants in the valley
    6. Rusty runs away
    7. The Funeral
    8. The India I love
    9. Roads to mussoorie
    10. The window
    11. A town called Dehra

my list will go on and on.....

Kenneth Anderson and Jim corbett books are on widlife especially about the forests in india and the tigers. they guide us through the different terrains in india, the forest, how a jungle look like, how a jungle sound like... to the readers through their descriptions. kenneth anderson goes into the details of the forest compared to Corbett.

The general illusion of the common man is that a tiger is a wild animal which kills human beings and eat them. but from kenneth anderson one can easily learn the behaviours of wild animals, how they turn into a man eater... and many things about Indian Jungle.

I conclude saying the above authors take the readers to the window that opens into that part of India, which one would have not noticed or explored. They take the readers to a different world of their own.

:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown :hatsoff:hatsoff:hatsoff:hatsoff to you Mr. Bond.

Happy reading.......

Mira.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. Sheebavinod

Sheebavinod Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,

Some of my all time fav-

Tuesdays with Morrie-Mitch Albom
    The Greatest Salesman of the World- Og Mandino
    The Kite Runner- Khalid Hosseini
    Tell Me Your Dreams- Sidney Sheldon
    The Alcheimist- P. Ceolho

3. vidhyaplv

vidhyaplv New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I personally enjoyed reading the following books
    1. Veil of Roses, Laura Fitzgerald
    2. A Good Indian Wife, by Anne Cherian
    3. Daughter of Venice, by Donna Jo Napoli
    4. For Matrimonial Purposes, by Kavita Daswani
    5. The Village Bride of Beverly Hills, by Kavita Daswani

Have a good reading:coffee

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
  4. chanchal_kiran

chanchal_kiran New IL'ite

"The Secret" by Rhonda Bryn is my pick.. Its a kind of life changing book. do read that.. I am sure you will enjoy..

5. aparaajita

aparaajita New IL'ite

I too agree with "Monk who sold his ferrari" It is a real interesting read. Another book that is very interesting, is "Shall we tell the President" which is the 2nd book of the trilogy, the first being "Kane & Abel" & the last being "Prodigal Daughter" Jeffrey Archer is a very interesting writer. He has written amazing short stories too.
    One of the most interesting book I have read recently is "Palace of Illusions" by Chitra Debkaruni Banerjee. But what i enjoy reading most are the books that I enjoy reading most are written by Shivani. She writes in Hindi. Her language is the most beautiful of all. Hindi too has a vast treasure of writings. As does Punjabi. That is not to say that other languages do not have it. But i am looking for books from other Indian languages that have been translated onto Hindi, or English. I am especially looking for a book by Oriya writer Pratibha Roy, "Draupadi" that is published in English as "Yagyaseni". Here it is very difficult to find those books.

6. geetasami

geetasami New IL'ite

Hi ,

Da vinci code is an awesome book:) Do read and enjoy!

geeta

7. Sheery

Sheery New IL'ite

hi :),

I enjoy reading self-help books. Recently, I bought a book called How to Stop Worrying and Start Living written by Dale Carnegie. It is quite an interesting book because it helps us to break away from worrying habit that most of us have. It also has some interesting stories of how people conquered their worrying habits. The books open with fundamental facts that one should know about worry and how to analyze and solve worry problems. It also gives tips about how to break worry habits. Also, seven way to cultivate a mental attitude that will bring peace and happiness, etc.

I recommend people to read this book at least once if they can.

Well Happy Reading :coffee,

Sheery

8. sreekulu

sreekulu New IL'ite

Learning to fly by Roxanne Henke , a good read for any parent...
    Breathe of fresh air by Amulya Malladi,about the bhopal tragedy

I like Mary Higgins clark's books too

9. senkamal

senkamal New IL'ite

Dan Brown's 'Angels and Demons', 'The Da Vinci Code', 'Digital Fortress' are very good. He has recently published 'The Lost Symbol' which I am yet to read. Robin Sharma's 'The Monk who sold his Ferrari' and 'Megaliving' are very motivating and inspirational.

One correction to apparajita....'Shall we tell the President' is the final book in the trilogy...the first being 'Kane and Abel' and the next being 'The Prodigal daughter'

I have read many novels (mostly fictions) of Robin Cook, Sidney Sheldon, Jeffrey Archer, Dan Brown, John Grisham....which are very interesting and thrilling...

So guys read them and enjoy.....

10. vijayals

vijayals Senior IL'ite

Books that i enjoyed are

Five point someone,Three mistakes in my life,One nite @callcenter,Two states from Chetan Bhagat
    The Monk who sold his Ferrari by Robin Sharma
    Twilight saga from Stephenie Meyer
    Alchemist from Paulo Coelho

Yet to read
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
    The Da Vinci Code & Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
    :spin