1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Book Review - Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Mythraeyi, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

A Thousand splendid suns

This is a book by Khaled Hosseni about women in Afghanistan. It is the story of two women Miriam and Laila who have very different upbringing but are forced by circumstances to live together. The story describes the life in Afghanistan before and after the Taliban rule and mainly the impact on women. It is a tough tale of love and friendship told beautifully. I would recommend this book and am looking forward to reading the Kite runner by the same author.

Mythraeyi

2. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Re: A Thousand splendid suns

I have read The Kite Runner. Not very impressed with it though. Had too many side stories going on and in the end felt like it was haphazardly put together. Just my personal opinion.

3. naazneen

naazneen Junior IL'ite

I loved this book. Cried alot when I read it. Then I related the story to my husband and he cried (a bit) too!!
    A thousand splendid suns has a very touching story and the hard part is its not really fiction when you think of it. Neither this nor what is related in the Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseinis other book. Unfortunately many "children" are suffering these fates in regions with continuing wars. I did prefer A thousand splendid suns(TSS) to the Kite Runner, but I think that may have something to do with me reading TSS first. I would highly recommend this book! Very serious stuff but worth every ounce of emotion.
    ~ Naazneen

4. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Re:The Kite Runner

I just finished reading The Kite Runner. I liked it a lot. A powerful book, got quite absorbed in it. He makes it easy to visualize the cruelty of Taliban and life in Afghanistan. I am yet to read The Thousand splendid Suns.

Usha
    Motivation metaphor
    Today's Specialty

5. AditiSuresh

AditiSuresh New IL'ite

I'm Viji Suresh! I live in Dubai! I'm witing in this forum for the first time! Your book reviews are so good! I really loveed them!

I have read this book "Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. Before that I have read Kite Runner! When I finished reading Kite Runner, I was moved by the way the young men n children suffer in the hands of Talibans in Afghan!

But, when I finished reading this "Thousand Splendid Suns", I could not sleep for a week! The way the women suffer in that Afghan region ......- Oh! My God! we are the blessed souls!!

But, I will say it is such a good book! I could not keep the book till I finished it! I took three-four days to finish it!

Regards,
    Viji Suresh

6. vennelaaaa

vennelaaaa Bronze IL'ite

I totally agree with you...
    I feel so bad for the Afghan women !

7. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Just read the book last week. And I had totally feel sorry for the Afghani women in the hands of some really chauvinistic men and groups.

But what caught my attention equally was - the ongoing war in the country. So many people attacking and then fighting back... For all the political coups and wars happening in the country, with people - men,women, children - dying alike!! Gropus fight saying that they want freedom and dicipline in the country. And all the fighting at what cost??

And all though this, the book shows how women there have suffered more than anything... the flogging, beatings, the emotional turmoil of widows on supporting families in a time and date so intense for them...

8. vidyajithesh

vidyajithesh Gold IL'ite

I was completely shaken by the book. I just read it last week. I was horrified at the plight of the women in the Afghan region.
    The protagonist Mariam is the one who stays inscribed in my heart as she got nothing worthwhile in her life. She was disowned by all, in her life(except Laila and her kids)...Laila's character was also very touching in its own way, as it clearly depicted how a woman gives in to her survival instincts(no no am not revealing the entire plot)..
    Atleast i am glad the story ended at such a beautiful note,and at the end of it no person with a heart can miss a tiny tearlet(for me it was dab..sob..dab..sob)..
    Personally, I found it more interesting and likeable than 'The Kiterunner'.(When there are two books by the same author, a comparison is very likely..cant help it folks!!!:))
    So ladies, do try to read this awesome book atleast once in your lifetime as it is most certain to leave its mark on you like never before...

Best Regards,
    Vidya

9. n.sangheetha

n.sangheetha Junior IL'ite

Re: The Kite Runner

I have read both Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns a while ago.
    Both the books are set on war background. We will not be that familiar with the plot or the story of both the books. It is totally set on Afghan Culture and cities.
    But what I liked is the flow of writing by Hosseini, both in Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. There are few expressions which shows the reality but in a very subtle way.
    For E.g
    After the incident, when Amir celebrates his Birthday, he is so upset for all valid reasons, he sees Hassan serving drinks to his friends/(not friends probably enemies) and Amir not able to see that sight ..Hosseini says.... "and then mercifully darkness". There are few expressions which can not be forgotten at all.

10. ani123

ani123 Senior IL'ite

Read both of them a while ago, and was really touched.

I loved thousand splendid suns a lot and felt for those girls who are suffering...
    I couldnt stop thinking of the story for a week or more after reading and was discussing a lot with my DH too...

Rules they had are all against Women...how mean!

Its a book but a serious one .....I highly recommend reading!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010