Blog

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by EagerForInfo, Dec 12, 2020.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

How can I create a blog. It would be nice to share my thoughts on a blog.. (of course I will not discuss anything personal... ) share recipes , travel pages and pictures.. Any ideas on where to start...? It would be nice if all goes well I can earn some money on it too?

2. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Platinum IL'ite

3. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Anyone have any good experience with blogs?

4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I write a blog- off and on. I write about whatever I feel like- style/ fashion, finance, travel, anything I feel like writing.

I used to get some money (from ads and some followers wanted to buy some of the clothing articles etc.) but that was never my motivation. If you want to make money, you will need to spend time promoting your blog on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram etc and link with other bloggers. For me, it’s more of a journal, a creative outlet.

You can start a free blog at Wordpress or blogspot and see how you like it before buying a domain name.

Good luck!

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@EagerForInfo - I used to be an avid blog reader. These days I go for vlogs. Lots of beautiful ones on YouTube. Even bloggers are sharing videos along with content.

Manali used to be a regular here. Now not so much. Check out her cookery blog.

California gardening is a good gardening vlog. He also has an associated blog.I like the vlog along with blog format a lot. Do look into it.

Purse blog is another one that i recommend you look into. They have associated Instagram/Twitter accounts. It’s always good to see their pics on insta. They tweets often too and all of that drives traffic to the blog. They also have an associated purse forum where all things purse is discussed. It all started with a blog for branded purses. I’ve never seen a blog have an associated forum until I saw this blog.

Another good one is Practical Wanderlust. They are travel bloggers with all the regular social media presence with an addition. They have an associated podcast. I’ve seen travel blogs with vlogs but this one with a podcast is unique. I love the podcast format and listen on the go while planning trips.

I’ve tried to share with you various formats bloggers use to capture audience and stay relevant.

I would suggest starting something on one topic. Personal blogs with travel musings, recipes etc all in one place don’t seem to do as well.

I also suggest Wordpress blogs. They are easy to start and easy to upgrade when required. You don’t need a web dev course to customize it later. Lots of options available to buy specifically for Wordpress. You can also purchase your domain/hosting later via a hosting service.

Start a written blog and slowly add other things - pintrest, fb, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube etc. Make it a point to publish at least two/three posts a day. Get followers and keep them interested.

To earn money via a blog, you first need followers. Secondly you need ad revenues and associate revenues.
    If you wish to share links to things you recommend for purchase you need to sign up for the associate accounts with the retailers. Amazon’s associate account is easy to get once you have a blog. All you need is to direct traffic to amazon to get credits for the sales. You do need a minimum number of clicks from your site for them to keep you in the associate account.

I’m yet to delve into how ad revenues work but there are blogs on that topic as well out there. Do research that.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your new blog!

nuss likes this.
  6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for the list @Laks09. I am going to check out some of these too. I follow practicalwanderlust. Great content!

I feel that the biggest question for the OP is to figure out what her comfort level is and how patient they are. Blogs take years of hard work before making any money. You have to slowly build up your base.

I would suggest starting a practice blog where you write whatever comes to your mind. This is for you to figure out how you want to say things and try different settings etc.

Once you are comfortable, go for a real blog and start using content from your practice blog. Recipes would be great in a video format so you can show in real time.

You might want to follow people, who have similar blogs, on Instagram and Twitter to learn how they promote their work.

Have fun blogging!

Laks09 likes this.