1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Blame it on Kali Yuga!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC
    I am extremely gratified to see that my thread has provoked some high quality responses which are in fact more thought provoking and more authentic than the lead post. But I slightly beg to differ with you when you say that we blame everything on Kali Yuga indiscriminately. Every one of us has an abiding conscience and it is only when we are forced to act against our conscience that we look for consolation to some over riding influence that makes us do things.
    I agree with you that all of us have a freedom of choice but there may be occasions when you find yourself unable to exercise that freedom for reasons beyond your control. We saw a glimpse of it in the previous Yuga itself when even such strong people like Bhishma and Drona watching in agonised silence the disrobing of Draupathi. In spite of such atrocities committed by the Kauravas, they had to join hands with them and fight against the Pandavas knowing fully well that Pandavas were fighting for a just cause. Karna attributed his action to 'Senchotru kadan!', Bhishma regarded his Pratigya greater than fighting for Dharma. Why did they not exercise that freedom of choice? Instead of going as an ambassador to the Kauravas to plead the cause of Pandavas, Krishna could have just drilled some good sense into Duryodhana's head. Why did He not do it?
    I am not consciously advocating committing a sin and blaming it on Kali Yuga but I am merely pointing out that whenever a small aberration in our character troubles us, we may try to draw consolation from the fact that we are all part of His Divine Plan and seek to concentrate on our positive side.
    Sri

2. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    Mine is not a culture post but a cultured post for a change! I will certainly not even think of sneaking into your area where you are the monarch of all that you survey! And people who have read all your FBs in my various threads would never believe that you cant write a post in a lighter vein. You have already shown a glimpse of that talent in your blog.
    As I said earlier in reply to AC, I am really gratified to see the kind of FBs to my lead post. You dont have to request anyone for a berth in the business class of the Ark as you have earned one by your own right!
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

Dear Sudha
    All this blaming it on Kali Yuga technique will only land us at the Ark eventually! Blaming it on Kali Yuga can also be rephrased as Sarvam Krishnarpanamasthu! But for this technique, we'll never have an answer for what we do at times knowing deep within that it is wrong! Perfection ,they say, is given only to the Divine and not the human.
    Sinning assumes greater proportion when we commit it knowing fully that it's a sin but does that scare us away? Probably even Duryodhana felt it on an introspective day!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

Dear Sri
    The first FOUR Avatars happened in Kritha Yuga – Matsya, Koorma, Varaaha and Nrisimha
    The next THREE Avatars happened in Treta Yuga – Vaaman, Parasuraama and Sri Rama
    The next TWO Avatars happened in Dwapara Yuga – Balaraama and Krishna
    The next ONE Avatar will happen in Kali Yuga – Kalki
    We can see the symmetry between the Time Span of Yugas and the number of Incarnations happened in every Yuga. There is an Avatar once in every 432000 years which is the period of Kali Yuga. Kritha means four and it was four times that of Kali (17,28,000 years)and hence four Avatars in that period. Similarly Treta means three and it was three times that of Kali (12,96.000 years) and hence three avatars in that period. Dvapara means two and it was two times that of Kaliyuga (8,64,000) years and hence two Avatars in that period. Finally Kali will come to an end with the last Avatar, Kalki
    God out of His immense munificence has ordained that the best period is the longest. Imagine our fate if Kali Yuga were to be the longest instead of Krita Yuga!
    I agree with you that in the modern perception, good people are the most boring ones and bad people hog all the lime light!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    I agree with you but the irony is that people indulged more in soul enriching activities in Krita Yuga when it was really not necessary and Salvation was there just for the asking. It looks like the time spent on 'yagams' is inversely proportional to the time spent on sinning! Knowing this, God has willed that mere namasankeertanam would suffice for the humans to attain salvation but we find even that difficult. If only we grabbed at this offer of God, Kali would never end!
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Vandhana,
    Our scriptures have outlined the characteristics of humans in all the four Yugas. There is also a definite ratio of good and bad in each Yuga. Thus, in Krita or Satya Yuga, there was no evil at all. In Treta Yuga, one third became evil. In Dvapara Yuga, half of them became evil and in the present Kaliyuga only a quarter remain virtuous.
    There is also a school of thought regarding this papam and punniyam. It is said that the sum total of evil or paapam remains constant in each Yuga. In the present Yuga, for example, the ratio of good and evil remains constant at 25:75. When we undergo suffering due to our karma, the people who inflict such suffering on us take over our Paapam. What we lose, they gain and the figure remains constant!
    By the way, I am seriously thinking of surrendering my business class ticket to travel economy seeing the growing demand for that class!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    I agree with you on Paapam and Punniyam to the extent that they are not absolute in the sense that there are no reference points that would be universally acceptable.
    There is an asura in every one of us and how active he can get is entirely in our hands.
    Blaming it on Kali Yuga should not be resorted to as a license for our sinning. I certainly did not intend to convey such a message. Only when we are troubled by our conscience for having done something against it for whatever reasons should we look for the effect of Kali Yuga on our actions as a consolation.
    Sri

8. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    Now that you have started the topic, let me post my thoughts on Kali Yuga, which I had planned to post in one of my threads. I do hope, rather have taken for granted, that I have your permission.

The other three yugas are double, triple or four times the length of the Kali Yuga, which is taken as one unit.
    Kali Yuga can be called “The midnight of the Man” !
    Kali Yuga began at past midnight on the 18<SUP>th</SUP> of Februar 3102 B C. All the seven Creative planets came together at one point in the circle of Time and Kali Yuga commenced in the history of mankind. The zero-year of Kali Yuga commenced with a period of darkness, decline and disintegraion, for the Aryan Civilisation.
    In the next 5000 years, the meaning of the Vedas was completely lost and the scientific religion of Hinduism, which was at its height during the Satya Yuga had become broken down into fragments and the significance completely forgotten. Blame it on Kali Yuga !

Hinduism crystallized into a formal religion, then degenerated into a dogma or faith - a system of taboos and social customs, interspersed with superstitions. Ultimately the true Doctrine is lost ! Blame it on Kali Yuga !

Religious leaders and Reformers tried to reconstruct the lost meaning of the Vedas and thus was Philosophy born ! The inner meaning of the Vedas was speculatively debated by various teachers and the Age of Reasoning started ! Blame it on Kali Yuga !

Aryan civilization touched its lowest ebb and during this period a number of barbaric alien invasions and wars heaped upon the declining Vedic Religion. Rare books and manuscripts, zealously guarded over ages and respected with a godlike reverence were burnt and destroyed ! Blame it on Kali Yuga !

The dark cycle of Kali Yuga is supposed to have commenced on the exact day marked by the death of Lord Krishna, the Avatar of the Divine ! The completion of the first cycle of 5000years of KaliYuga ended in 1900 A D. Now we are in the second phase of Kali Yuga and in the Beginning of the “Modern Age” in the Chronology of the world. In general, there is lack of faith in the divine nature of man.
    Man is more materialistic (only) and forgets the Higher Self of human soul.
    He is more interested in body and not at all in his soul.
    Politics has replaced religion, sadly !
    Blame it all on Kali Yuga !

This is the Age of Wars. Treachery, sabotage, espionage, murder, lust, greed for wealth, massacres, bloodshed – all these fill us with tears. Blame it on Kali Yuga !

Every individual is bothered about “How to make a living” (only) and not “What he should live for”. Thus in Kali Yuga, the “means” for a living will cloud the “ends”, for which we live ! Blame it on Kali Yuga !

Man wants to satisfy his personal petty ego with no eye for What this creation is made for. Hence a universall degeneration and decline in the “quality” of mankind ! Blame it on Kali Yuga !

But the good news is that the worse phase of Kali Yuga is over according to our Puranic Prophecies. After the midnight represented by Kali Yuga first cycle, let us look forward to a golden morning of the soul !

Love,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.
  9. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Nice article... In your own style... I dont know, what made you philosophical.... Because of which, we all got detailed account of the various yugas and the characterstics of people at those yugas... supplimented with fine article by Chitvish, V24,Kamla and others.....

Lust, greed, power, adultery etc etc.. are all part of the Kaliyuga... In the first three yugas, for becoming a asura or a deva, you have to do lot of thapas, yagna etc..etc.. Normal man, can become neither... In Kali yuga, anybody can become a asoora... No need to work hard... Great...

If you ar joining BJP political party, I quit today and come and join as your PA... More than the minister, the minister's PA get more... Normally only the politicials blame somebody or somthing for everything.... Thanks to Chitvish for highlighting the importance of me (Vedas)...:spin:spin:spin:spin... Hey comeon... When two opposite parties join hands, what will happen to the intermediaries (Naradhas)...

PS>>> Dear Sri & Chitvish, the last para is absolutely meant as a joke and no offence meant. Hope both of you take it in the lighter spirit...

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Veda,
    Do you think, I am a "thotta siNungi" ? No, far from it !
    Veda, in the real meaning, is such a nice name and Vedvyas is a great teacher !
    May Shanthi forever prevail in the life of Vedvyas !
    Love,
    Chithra.
    Become Sri's PA - but give me, my "cut" without fail !

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007