1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Biting

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by vmtaurus, Nov 6, 2013.

1. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@vmtaurus Hugs to you. I know how you feel. My DD (now 28 months old) bites at time. Between 12-24 months all of us in our family had bite marks. We tried several methods even the consistently using one method. Nothing worked. It finally reduced when her teething phase stopped (still 4 more teeth to go though). Even now she bites my mom. Not sure why though.

DD also bites when she gets frustrated, cranky, hungry, sleepy. Most of the time we are able to avoid such situations. But yes there are days.

I highly recommend the book that Anusya has suggested. I have been reading that book to my DD and now she does not bite as much.

2. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Thank you so much ladies for your responses!

Rakhi: I thought so too, but he seems to have absolutely no trigger. I first thought maybe he was hungry, or sleepy, but of late he just does it for the heck of it. He would come and ask me to pick him up and then just sink his teeth in! He did cut through another lower molar, and perhaps that is it, but now he does it so often I am not sure if it is teething or just fun!

Ansuya: Thank you for the book recommendation, will get it asap. I was not comfortable too with hitting him, or pinching his lips or biting him back (which is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read). Hence this post. What seems to work so far, is putting him down and just walking away and ignoring him for awhile.
    I am not perfect either and have to really work on my anger as I tend to blow my fuse very often! But I was just not comfortable with this pinching etc. It was my mom who suggested this, and apparently used this on me and sis, and it worked instantly. But still..I am not convinced! Call it generation gap or whatever!

Guesshoo: You are right..I was inconsistent with my reactions. I would ignore initially, then physically move him away and sometime he would come back for a hug and sink his teeth into my thigh! And then I would blow my fuse and yell at him. Now i count to 5, then move away from him and just ignore him. It hasn't stopped as yet. I just hope it does soon. Will try your technique and see..

Ramya: Thank you! Will get the book as Ansuya mentioned.