1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Birthday party at park

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Classy, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Classy

Classy New IL'ite

Hello ILs,

I live in northern VA and was wondering if you could advise me on something. Most of the first birthday parties here are done grand by calling around 100 + people. We are almost obligated to do the same for our case too and the birthday is coming up in June. Since it is summer here at that time, my husband wants to do it in a outdoor park. We visited some and there are ones available with a shelter that covers the roof and has seating for 150 people. We are thinking to host the party there in the afternoon. We plan to hire a clown as well as give some tickets to the attending kids for the rides avail. in the park like a carnival, tran etc. Was just wondering how that would sound, have you done any party outdoor or have attended one outdoor? I am just thinking if it would b e any inconvenient for the invitees. For us it is okay as we will have in laws to help with and thinking of ordering food. We cannot do it at home due to the volume. Please provide your thoughts on doing it in the park vs. in a hall. I think decoration may not show well in park but my husband says its ok, let us do a different kind of a party at the park than the routine and he says if we entertain the kids they will have fun and a memorable party. Ultimately we want to make it a memorable event. please advise.

Also my in laws are coming from India and can get some things for the party , if you have any ideas please suggest on what I can get from there.

Thanks a bunch.

1 person likes this.

2. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Check you local zoos, they might have some party packages which will include food, drinks and also pony rides or some fun activities for kids. But another problem with these parties outside will be, they usually have a head count limit attending the parties, if you have more guests you might end up paying more than a party in the Indian restaurants.

- Sihi

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hi Classy,

A party in the park will surely be 'classy'!

My grandson had his second birthday party in a park and like you said, free rides were provided for the visiting kids and food was ordered. It was a very pleasant experience and if the weather obliges, there is nothing to hinder the fun.
    Make all the enquiries with the park authorities and get to know their do's and don'ts ahead.

If you decide on a theme, one can get suitable paper table cloths, napkins, cups etc and thus decorate the venue. Use balloons and streamers. I remember the kids and their young parents simply loving it. We enjoyed it too.

Best of luck...L, Kamla

1 person likes this.