1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

BIL's visit ...Please help

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by confusedwoman, Jul 16, 2014.

1. confusedwoman

confusedwoman Silver IL'ite

Dear IL,

In my earlier thread I have posted about my BIL who keeps passing sarcastic comments, in addition to comments like "what happened to the slim girl you married?", "she trained you well..like a dog ha ha", "she is smart she moved you far so we won't interfere", "she is like that tree you planted..without fruits", "she married you cos she had no where to go in USA"...which my husband says are his ways of showing affection.(as according to DH, my BIL loves me as a sister), There was all sorts of harassment when I was pregnant (when he came to "help" as DH was in a different city, like coughing in my face when he was sick, even though I requested him to cover his cough. Drinking my milk(I am lactose intolerant) and not replacing it, so when I came back from work at 8 PM and working 12 hours I could not even drink milk when I was 8 months pregnant. :rant

Another instance..my son was sick and admitted in hospital f0r14 dye of antibiotics...my BIL kept calling DH for group chat and laughing loudly even as my son was getting iv lines and antibiotics, when I confronted Dh, he said just because you are sad..why should my brother be sad? and he doesn't know how sad we are or what our son is going through or he would laugh so much...but he was aware from the day my son was hospitalized.....:drowning

Anyways this BIL is coming to help us move ( we don't actually need any help to move, Dh's employer is paying for movers, this is a rigid ordinance by DH that BIL and his cousin will come) in a couple of weeks...DH is already in the new place..so it will be me,my son and my mom who's visiting...how do I handle his sarcastic remarks? and insensitive actions?

Please help ILites....thanks.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014

2. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

try to treat his sarcastic statements as just statements. let them go 'un-understood'. possible?

1 person likes this.
  3. confusedwoman

Sometimes possible Radhai...but he just keeps them piling on..like maybe 20-30 comments a day...and luckily this time Dh not around or DH will get influenced by comments and start fight. Not only comments there are also traps set up by BIL. Like he will say "I am applying for GC for parents,they will stay with me for 4 months and you for at least 2-3 months from this year",this statement at the time when I was already stressed out by MIL inviting her sisters and kids ( a total of 10 people) during my pregnancy. He then watches my reaction and tries to egg on my husband if i make even the slightest mistake.

1 person likes this.
  4. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

I do not think this is something you should even ignore...it is about time you give back.
    What i wonder is that why u do not get support from your DH in this regards when he is insulting you left and right.

May be you want to start thinking what he may taunt on and get answers ready , or just be offensive. This is outrageous and he is getting stronger as neither of you are pushing him back on it.

If nothing try to make a scene if you cannot give it back on words. As soon as he taunts start crying loudly , espeically if you are outside.

Please do something, this is something should not be ignored. You need to have a serious talk with your hubby and tell him this is hurting you and u need his support.

Your DH has to take a stand for u....

4 people like this.
  5. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

You have to put your foot down. He cant take you for granted. He is supposed to give you the same respect he is supposed to give his brother. Speak in front of your DH itself boldly against his comments.

If required tell him, how he is creating problems between you and ur husband. Be bold..

3 people like this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

This is mind less abuse from this sick bastard.No wonder his wife dumped him.Agree with Anamika here...create a scene every time he does it.If he passes sarcastic comments...pull up a chair and ask him what exactly he means by that comment.Stare at him and don't blink.Don't let him get away so easily. If husband objects ...tell him you have to do it because your husband is spineless who lets his wife be insulted in his own house. Tell him you feel like Draupadi being insulted by Duryodhan while your husband looks on.

Tell your husband "jeth"(elder bil ) is supposed to be like a father figure ,not like a road side gunda who takes pleasure in insulting a woman.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    12 people like this.
  7. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

good draupadi example

After reading OP's post my blood is boiling....and feel like slapping him

1 person likes this.
  8. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Second what YM says. Don't respond to his exact words but tell him with eye contact, directly, immediately, "what you said is extremely insulting. And this is not the first time you have been talking like this. I have had enough. What exactly do you mean?" If he tries to pass it off as a joke, "it is in extremely poor taste. I do not want you to make me the butt of your jokes anymore." Don't discuss this with your husband. Give it out directly. If he drinks your milk, again, call him and say directly, "do you remember I am lactose intolerant? This is the only one I can drink. I would like you to be more considerate from now on."

treat at him sternly like a misbehaving child with eye contact. Don't back down. That should put bullies like this into place.

5 people like this.
  9. confusedwoman

Thank you Radhai,VaniVyas,Anamika99,yellowmango,guesshoo. I will employ the methods you suggest Anamika99. I will confront BIL like you suggest VaniVyas,yellowmango,guesshoo. Infact I will likely use the words you ladies suggested verbatim. Thank you ladies for the sisterhood :), you decreased my stress level a lot.

2 people like this.
  10. TheUnhappyWife

TheUnhappyWife Silver IL'ite

This is highly preposterous!
    How can your husband say this. Isn't your son BIL's nephew ? If your BIL is so close to your DH, doesn't he have love for DH's son that he would laugh and

Your husband's statement is absurd. You are sad because your son is hospitalized. If your son is hospitalized, your BIL ought to be sad too, because his nephew is hospitalized. Husbands usually don't stand up when the matter is between wife and parents. But not standing up when BIL is the culprit (other than for financial matters), I don't get it.

You need to get ready for fight. I normally don't advise fight, but this is highly abusive situation. You need to give this BIL the taste of his own medicine by sarcastic statements beginning with 'Sorry to be saying so,........ but it seems like your wife left you because you are so abusive, isn't it ?'

1 person likes this.