Bigger Dollar Bills

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by amulya2020, Feb 20, 2024.

1. amulya2020

amulya2020 Silver IL'ite

Hi Ilts,

I have been saving some pocket money. I have few 10$, 20$ bills with me. Where I can exchange them for 50$ or 100$? Other than banks do I have option that I can exchange them? Or if zi have to do it in bank… what details I should be doing?

Sorry, I don’t work and I have very little knowledge about bank and stuff . So, please advise…

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You should be able to change them at the bank where you have an account. You may have to deposit and then withdraw in the denomination you choose. I don’t know if you can do it just at any bank, but it can’t hurt to ask.

amulya2020 likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The most common way to do this would be to go to a physical branch location of your bank. Meaning the bank in which you have an individual or joint checking and or savings account. They will ask you to swipe your bank/ ATM card and enter your pin code just like you do to withdraw cash at an outside ATM. After that, they will give you the bigger dollar bills. In a rare situation, they might not have the desired bigger dollar bills, in which case you can try another location. But, if the amount is small like under $1000, it will be fine.

If you don't want to go through the "swipe your ATM card" step, there may be some banks that will let you simply do the exchange. If you go inside and ask, at the most they will say no. It won't cause any other problem.

The other options are smaller retail stores like Indian or Chinese grocery stores, small restaurants, or places that take cash only. Indian beauty parlors will also be happy to get smaller bills maybe. But, at all these places, you may want to first buy something, then ask.

You could also try currency exchange places. Google "Currency exchange" for your area. Now-a-days, they are usually kiosks in malls. You can call and ask them. Be sure to also ask if they will charge a fee.

The last but the most convenient option is ask a trusted friend to do it for you. She can do it at her bank.

4. amulya2020

amulya2020 Silver IL'ite

Thank you for the suggestion!

5. amulya2020

amulya2020 Silver IL'ite

Thank you for suggesting all possible options! Will give it a try