1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Big Fat Indian Weddings(II) !!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by swethakalyanee, Mar 13, 2009.

1. swethakalyanee

swethakalyanee New IL'ite

Thanks for all your comments for my previous post http://www.indusladies.com/forums/blogs/swethakalyanee/big-fat-indian-weddings-1533/
    Nice to read some of the real life experiences shared by fellow bloggers.

Well, I’m happy that many of us have thought that lavish weddings are needless. It’s WELCOME CHANGE that some of our bloggers have shared few instances of families asking for a simpler marriage.

Being Indians, we never forget a catchphrase in Sanskrit “Athithi Devo Bhava” ( Guest is God). My blog doesn’t say that the guests shouldn’t be provided accommodation in our marriages / they shouldn’t be given warm welcome etc. ,
    All I try to convey is..Give them a more meaningful and useful gifts. What kinda meaningful gifts…? That’s left to individual’s choice and one's wedding budget.

Whether the bride’s father is also simultaneously funding for poor people (apart from conducting a lavish marriage) is an irrelevant comment. What I have tried to say is to cut down on Rash expenses especially at this time of economic meltdown and steer that money for a useful cause be it for your own family or for your society, instead of TOM TOM ing the wealth one posses.

The so called NOBLE causes I have mentioned in my blog is not an exhaustive list. If we find educating the slum children a mammoth task, we could try to reach for organizations which take up noteworthy social work and which are genuine too!

If one man’s expenditure is another man’s income, why in our society do rich get richer and poor get poorer?!

There were days when our grand parents, great grand parents celebrated wedding for 10 days, inviting the whole village or a locality for food, fun and frolic! They had everything in abundance…people, money and resources.
    But now the scene is different!

We’re running short of every living resource. We must look after such resources, our money …so that our children, grand children will have a better life.

Well, as someone had commented, “Wish there was some limit on how much we spend for weddings” …

Precisely, a day might come soon that Government might be forced to limit our precious resources. Not to forget the frequent power cuts, levying water tax etc.,

Unnecessary Luxury expenses MUST be limited.
    Children also should be taught to look after the rupee, while allowing them to have their fun!

Let’s be wise, ‘THINK DIFFERENTLY’ and try to be more socially responsible.

But if one still prefers to Live for the day, or recklessly spend for occasion such as weddings 'coz as these are once in a life time happenings, it's his/ her take.