bicycle exerciser - which one and why?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SupSam, Jan 14, 2011.

1. SupSam

SupSam Senior IL'ite

Hi Ilites,

Keeping aside all relation issues..I am here again to have advices...but this time for my exerciser. Me and DH are planning to buy a gym and a bicycle for exercise. About Gym, although DH has a fair idea but suggestions are welcome.

As I researched about bicycles, there are 3 kinds - upright, recumbent, dual action.
    DUal action is out of budget for us. I need to decide between upright and recumbent. Although our budget allows us to go for upright bicycle with the gym but I would still like to know the pros and cons of both the bicycles and the difference in price from the experienced ladies here.

We plan to buy these in Feb.

Plz advice,
    Supriya.

2. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

I have added snippets of an article I found online. Hope it answers your question.

"A big advantage of upright exercise bikes is the fact that you can lift your body off the seat to pedal with much greater force and exertion (just like a road bike) to simulate climbing hills, sprinting or just for giving your butt a well deserved rest.

On the downside, upright exercise bikes can be uncomfortable to ride for prolonged periods unless you're used to riding your road bike, that's especially true on the cheaper bikes that have marginal seats at best.

Upright exercise bikes are smaller than recumbent and take up less floor space. They tend to be a bit cheaper than a comparable recumbent bike."

"Recumbent exercise bike is recommended for the simple fact that they're much more comfortable to ride, and the more comfortable the ride, the more likely you are to use the bike.

The only exception would be if you are a more hard-core biker who will really be cranking up the intensity trying to simulate hill climbing or sprinting. If that sounds like you, get an upright."