1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bhagirathi Aunty And Her Harmonium

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra
    My dear Viswa
    You may be wondering why I have taken your last line first to respond. The answer is simple. Goldie is my all-time favorite. She is about three years younger to me but she looks like my granddaughter! No one has mastered the art of defying aging better than her. May her tribe increase!
    Harmonium is the favourite of more than 50% of the Indian population probably because it is the easiest musical instrument to play. It is the favourite of all Bajan groups because it smoothly merges with the chorus.
    More than me, my wife was certain what my answer would be. To tell you the truth, I myself had no clue about what reply to give. My wife, of course, knows me better than I do!
    Sri

Viswamitra likes this.
  2. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Nice post , both funny and making me think ayyo pavame .
    Feeling sorry for both . Ayyo pavam ,the dead man who had no peace when alive , so what use of harmonium getting tbrown out after hes dead and gone !
    . And Ayyo pavam for the lady , troubled by guilt, to throw off her precious possession . No use for both .
    Life is very complicated and nonsensical . Cannot understand why some things happen like they do , why people behave like they do . Someone sitting up there is having fun pulling the puppet strings !

3. Cheeniya

@SCSusila
    Harmonium as you may be knowing is the principal instrument in Bajan groups. Even if you do not know how to play that instrument, you can still carry it in a Bajan group and keep pumping air into it! The Bajan groups are usually a medley of the most incompatible voices and the resultant noise can absorb any sound, let alone that of an harmonium. This instrument has a major role in Katha Kalakshepam when the artist breaks into a song in between his story telling! I know one of them who used to shed tears moved by his own singing!
    Bhagirathi aunty must be thankful to be able to throw away her harmonium as she is struck with acute arthritis now. But her poor husband tried all gimmicks to get rid of it but could accomplish it only through his death!

SCSusila likes this.
  4. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

5. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

I loved the sense of humour in this !!!May be the sounds( the musical strains) will keep away her ex husband's spirit...ha! One of the reasons she threw away the harmonium ? I wonder :)

6. Cheeniya

@Jeeves
    Thank you for your maiden response to my thread. Bhagirathi Mami has more obituaries up her sleeves to report than The Hindu! She mentions them all without any emotion and that makes me wonder if the age makes death an ordinary event in life. If dying is a part of living, that realisations comes only in the evening of our life.

7. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

It is very true Cheeniya
    Old age or maturity, in fact, makes death " an event " in one's perception ! Unless it is the death of a youngster, nothing shocks a normal senior citize. May be the Geethacharya's words make a great impact on the souls of these individuals ! Death is just an event !

8. Cheeniya

@Jeeves
    Of course it is. It happens to everyone. It is the finality of all that we worked for and cherished that gives us the fear of death. Woody Allen makes his hallmark statement saying “I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens.” It is because of all the drama put up by the survivors of the dead, we get scared of it. Even the Avathars of God could not escape death. That is to say that even if God takes a human form , He needs to die.