1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

" Betrayal" -Sivasankari in English

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by vidyasarada, Dec 27, 2006.

1. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Sivasankari, a very popular Tamil writer, has brought out a collection of her stories translated into english. Her stories used to appear regularly in all tamil magazines once ; her writing was considered modern, feminist and introspective. I think it was she who brought the word " manushi" into popular tamil writing and it was adopted by others like Indumati, Vaasanthi and Anuradha Ramanan. Now- a- days, we dont see Sivasankari writing in any magazine.
    This collection called " Betrayal and other stories" contains stories written many years ago for magazines- hence they all seem familiar and like a revision, so no novelty. The moralising tone prevalent 25 years ago sounds rather uncomfortable today. In the title story, a woman who has endured a casanova of a husband for more than 20 years, gets him married to a young but crude girl and kicks them out of her house. Revenge ?:confused: I dont get the point.

The collection also has three witty tales based on keenly observed everyday occurances that are a pleasure to read. The translation has retained the flavour of the south indian idiom.
    VS

2. subbi

subbi New IL'ite

hi every body
    I am intersted in buying all the english translations of sivashankari. kindly give me the address. i had read in kannada two of her stories 47 days and manidhan.
    I AM A GREAT FAN OF SIVASHANKARI
    subbi

3. subbi

subbi New IL'ite

hi every body
    I AM INTERSTED IN GETTING ALL THE ENGLISH TRANSLATIONS OF SHIVA SHANKARI. KINDLY GIVE THE ADDRESS
    WITH REGARDS
    SUBBI