Beta HCG level variations

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by tulip2012, Aug 2, 2012.

1. tulip2012

tulip2012 Silver IL'ite

Friends,
    i underwent a scan and was found taht the sac was just formed and no foetal pole detected.
    Beta HCG was 10,000 firsta nd then after 48 hours it dropped to 8,000. Doc said it will undergo abortion naturally!!!
    I was soo sad to hear this, but then consoled myself as I already have a aby...and i was thinking of others who face the same sitn with their first child.
    Prayers to all of them.

there is slight brown discharge too..
    friends, is there any hope that the pregnancy will progress?
    Any exp from anyone?
    Regds,
    tulip2012

2. tulip2012

tulip2012 Silver IL'ite

can some one please respond???

3. jogu07

jogu07 Gold IL'ite

dear tulip, have never experienced this however you are in our prayers...hope you get through this...

God bless and stickiest baby dust to you...

4. gopalafiero

gopalafiero Senior IL'ite

The initial decrease in beta hCG (βhCG) after full-term delivery is quite rapid, so that an hCG level following the delivery will have dropped to less than 50 mIU within 2 weeks, and hCG will be undetectable after 3 to 4 weeks. In the case of first-trimester abortion, if hCG is clearing normally from the bloodstream as expected, the hCG level should decline steadily, halving at least every 48 hours. However, initial hCG levels are at the peak at 8 to 10 weeks LMP, as high as 150,000 mIU; therefore even 2 weeks after first-trimester abortion, the hCG levels may still be 1,500 mIU, high enough that all pregnancy tests will still be positive. hCG is likely to be detectable by sensitive tests, including commonly-used office urine test kits, for as long as 60 days after first-trimester abortion.

When patients have medication abortion, beta hCG continues to increase following mifepristone but then declines precipitously after administration of misoprostol. By the first follow-up visit 5-17 days after taking mifepristone, beta hCG levels drop to 20% of the initial value (measured on the day of mifepristone) in 98.5% of successful medication abortions. In contrast to the usual pattern of sharp drop in hCG after medication abortion, it is possible for hCG levels to have a lengthy plateau even though the patient has a clinically normal course without need for surgical intervention. Patients who require surgical intervention less than 15 days after medical abortion due to prolonged bleeding or pain generally have higher absolute and relative beta hCG values than women with normal courses whose beta hCG values drop sharply. However, there is an overlap in absolute and relative beta hCG values between patients with lengthy plateau who in the end have successful medication abortion and those who will require uterine aspiration. Beta hCG measurement is merely a supplement to the general clinical evaluation in determining whether intervention is indicated.

Key Words: abortion, pregnancy test, positive, terminated pregnancy, IUD insertion, this can happen

5. gopalafiero

gopalafiero Senior IL'ite

Your hCG drops steadily, usually hitting zero during the end of the spotting, or about 10 days after the failure . When the ... You may see lots of cervical mucus coming out, sometimes still dark brown or yellow, keep wiping it but it is not a fertility sign either. In fact, most ... Only now will your levels drop to zero and a new cycle begin. all the best

6. tulip2012

tulip2012 Silver IL'ite

I was given mesoprostol twice as the beta HCG was 10000, 8000 and 7845 in 48 hours intervals.
    I am hoping my next preg will eb healtthy

7. aartih

aartih New IL'ite

Hi,
    My b-hcg was 498 on nov-8 with lab A. And it became 422 on nov -9 with another lab- lab B and nov-12 it was 402. I really dunno what is this fluctuation indicating. Really in trouble. Last LMP on oct 4
    can anyone help?

8. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

hi aartih

Have you shown the reports to Dr...what does he say? they would try to put you on some progesterone support i think

I dont want to scare you, but Dropping hcg levels is generally not a good sign....

take care dear..