Best pearls in Hyderabad

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Hyderabad' started by Gayathri47, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

The last time I visited Hyderbad (which was recently), I had no idea of where to get the best pearls from. But I certainly hope that my next visit is more fruitful (in terms of shopoping for peals :bonk)

Please ILites, tell me where to buy the best pearls in the city? And around how much would it cost?

2. chaitusri

chaitusri Silver IL'ite

Mangatrai at Panjagutta is famous for pearl jewellery, I bought one set here.

And

There are two kinds of pearls-real or cultured. After a pearl is made, it is separated as per the shape. The drilling is either done horizontally or vertically. This is done by highly skilled artisans. Once this is done, the pearls are graded according to the sheen, glaze, shape, size, lustre and uniformity. Different kinds of ornaments are made from pearls like bracelets, Kundan sets and enamelled sets, Satlads (seven strand pearl, set with precious stones), lacchas, chand bali (a moon shaped ear-ring), chokers, rassi (a chain set in the form of rope) chatai (a mat type chain, ear rings and rings), hath phool (for the fingers and the wrist), vaddenam (waist belt) and Tanmani.

Hyderabad

[​IMG]Over 400 years old, Hyderabad is the hub of India’s most famous pearls. The most famous concentration of pearl market is clustered in and around Charminar area. Cultured pearls studded in gold and silver jewellery of exquisite design are a specialty of Hyderabadi jewellery. Pearls come in many shapes and of particular interest is the ‘rice-pearl’ – a tiny variety, available in great depth in Char Kaman, Gulzar Houz and General Bazar. People from across the world flock to these areas to purchase ornaments with rice pearls. Another famous pearl is the precious "Basra"- a pearl unmatched in lustre, colour and price that is available in selected stores. Then there is an entire street consisting of pearl shops named - Patther Gatti. Jewellers in this famous pearl market have combined pearls with the shimmer of gold, the rich rubies and the exquisite emeralds for centuries.

3. chaitusri

chaitusri Silver IL'ite