1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Best cooking oil?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by sheeba, Apr 13, 2005.

1. gauridatta

gauridatta New IL'ite

What do u think of sunflower oil?
    Is it the same as others. I use sunflower oil for cooking and canola oil for frying also for other dishes olive oil

Luv Gauri :?:

2. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I was looking for this information for a long time. I just need to clarify few things
    1. Corn / Canola / Soya Oil is best for frying, deep frying and even tempering right. So they are best suited for Indian ( South and North ) cooking. But when oils are heated, do they break and create tans fats or saturated fat ? Even without heating, all oils have some amount of saturated fat ( including olive oil)
    Since Saturated fats increase LDL ( the bad cholestrol), shouldn't it be must "NO" ( Is there any minimal safe limit of saturated fat allowed ? ).

2. From my understanding, in previous posts in this thread, are you suggesting Olive oil for salads or wherever it can be used raw ?

3. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

I use olive oil for salads, pasta, and any stir fry, seasoning etc. now a days i started using more of nallennai too.

canola for deep frying.

But recently read an article abt the origin of canola oil, we know that we get olive oil from olives, nallennai from sesame seeds, coconut oil from coconuts etc.... but canola oil??

It is actually called LEAR --Low Erucic Acid Rapeseed oil. it comes from a hybrid plant developed in canada, it is originally from a rapeseed plant, rapeseed oil was high in erucic acid which had high negative health effects so they came up with this LEAR oil and named it as canola oil, i think since it originated from canada. so if u google search it , many articles say abt the bad effects of canola oil, and ofcourse many say it is good.

So i feel uncomfortable now a days using canola and started going back to oils used by our grandparents which are not modified atleast. just my 2 cents...

4. nyeturi

nyeturi New IL'ite

Hi,
    Best oil is olive and canola. For dialy cooking I am using olive oil and for deep frying I am using canola. Use extra virgin olive oil.

5. rationale

rationale New IL'ite

Oils are classified by the type of fatty acids- Mono unstaturated, Poly unsaturated, Saturated etc. The best oils to ingest would be Canola, Olive, Vegetable, Sesame, Corn etc. Saturated fats are Coconut oil, Butter, Ghee etc

For cooking, corn and canola, sunflower do well if you dont want the taste of the oil to show through. Olive oil is good and the type (dark, light, virgin, extra virgin) depends on taste. Its how the oil is filtered. Extra virgin is good if you're using the oil 'raw'- as a dressing, over soup, bread etc.

The best way to regulate oil is to use cooking sprays on non stick- this way you need very little oil. Another good tip is to keep rotating the oils you use. This way theres a good balance and you reap the benefits of using all the "good fats". Limit butter intake or use smart balance (with omega 3's) spreads. Dont use olive oil for frying as at very high temperatures, it breaks down into harmful substances.

6. mtkm

mtkm New IL'ite

Hi friends.

Read all yr inputs.Let me tell u something.My family which is into oil drilling chemicals use canola oil known as rapeseed oil while drilling.It is one trashy and least expensive oil used in drilling.

i use corn oil for deep frying as it withstand high heating temp.Extra virgin olive oil sunflower oil,organic coconut oil and gingelly oil for regular cooking..

take care

latha

7. rya

rya Silver IL'ite

hi,
    according to me,good cooking oil is mazola..canola oil is also good...but some people doesn't like that smell...in india,sunola sunflower oil is good in my opinion
    ramya

8. rpk

rpk New IL'ite

Cooking Oil

Hello Everyone,
    Please let me know which oil is good for cooking in US?

9. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Re: Cooking Oil

Hi

Olive oil is the Best in terms of skin as well as health is concerned, i did try with Canola as well as Vegetable oil. But i find Corn oil to be Good as compared to the other ones.

Cheers
    vaidehi

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  10. sreejag

sreejag Bronze IL'ite

Re: Cooking Oil

hi,
    olive oil is the best, as far as my knowledge.

regards,
    sreelata.s