Benefits of Haldi

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by Aparna77, Mar 30, 2010.

1. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

This is a very interesting and helpful discussion going on here!

Let me add some other benefits of Haldi I read about some time back.

a) It boosts the effect of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
    b) It stops the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
    c) It helps in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
    d) Studies are showing positive effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.
    e) Studies are also showing positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma.

One caution: Turmeric should not be used by people with gallstones or bile obstructions.

2. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

Haldi indeed is a magic ingredient! It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent. It is useful in disinfecting cuts, burns, boils and acnes. It prevents melanoma and causes existing melanoms cells to die. As one of the friends already says, haldi is a natural liver de-toxifier.

It is a natural anti-inflammatory that works without any side effect. It is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.

Haldi prevents metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.

Haldi has been used in India for more than 2500 years. It is believed that it was the first ingredient that was ever used as a dye.

3. Aparna77

Aparna77 Senior IL'ite

Yes, I agree with Jaya. Haldi not only has good anti-cancer properties but is useful against Alzheimer’s disease too.
    In the year 2007 itself, US scientists had reported that curcumin which is the active ingredient of turmeric helps stimulate the immune system cells in Alzheimer’s disease. This in turn helps to slow down the progression of the disease.
    As far as cancer is concerned, studies have shown that turmeric suppresses cancer tumors. Researchers have also been able to prove that curcumin has been shown to block the activity of a gastrointestinal hormone implicated in colorectal cancer. In general, people who eat lots of turmeric are less susceptible to cancer.

4. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi friends,

this thread really rocks with more input from more members.after hearing about the properties of turmeric, i would like to add turmeric in anything that i cook.thanx to all the contributors,

5. raminderkaur

raminderkaur Bronze IL'ite

Thanks a lot for the info.

6. MadhujaJ

MadhujaJ Senior IL'ite

Friends,

Let me share with you some more information about Haldi or Turmeric. Turmeric is a member of the Ginger family. The Scientific Name is Curcuma Longa. It is not only used in Indian curries, but also put into other South Asian cooking recipes. In Japan, Haldi is used in tea.
    Apart from all the properties mentioned above, the active ingredient Curcumin has anti-tumor properties.

Recent research has shown turmeric to be helpful in fighting a number of STDs like Gonorrhea and Chlamydia.

Using turmeric while cooking non-veg like meat and fish is believed to kill the germs in the dead animals.

In Asia, Sangli in Maharashtra is the largest producer of turmeric.
    :cool2:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  7. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

Friends,

Having discussed about the numerous benefits of Haldi, we must keep in mind that today we use the powdered form more often. We seldom use the rhizomes. Turmeric powder i.e. the Haldi available in packets can be heavily adulteratred. This can be a health hazard.

In the powdered form of Haldi, there is high adulteration with Starch Powder and Saw Dust. Dies like Metanil Yellow are used to color the starch powder or saw dust to bring the colour of Haldi. Poisonous Lead Chromate is also believed to be used liberally to adulterate powdered Haldi.
    Lead can cause or worsen anaemia and kidney damage.

:confused2:

8. MadhujaJ

MadhujaJ Senior IL'ite

Dear all,

I was talking to my mom about this thread. I asked her about the ways in which we can add more Haldi to our menu.

She taught me the recipe of Haldi Ka Achaar.

INGREDIENTS

250 gms Turmeric Root (Haldi)
    2 tbsp Mustard Oil
    1 tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai)
    1 tsp Fennel (Saunf)
    1 tsp Amchur

METHOD

Peel haldi and chop into very small pieces.

Heat mustard oil in a pan and put rai and saunf in it.

When rai starts cracking add Haldi pieces and stir fry till the pieces turn soft.

Add Amchur. You can also add Jeera and Salt to your taste.

9. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Haldi ka achaar try karna hein.
    Thanks for sharing.

10. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

Priya,

You can also try this recipe::

Haldi ki sabzi

Ingredients

Haldi rhizomes - 250gm
    cauliflower
    peas
    some red chilles
    green chilles
    ginger
    coriender chopped
    red chilly powder
    dhanyia powder
    salt to taste
    cumin seeds
    hing
    curd 2 cups
    ghee
    some water

Method

Cut the cauliflower in pieces (not much required)
    Mix chilly powder, dhanyia powder and salt with the curd and wip it so that there is no lumps keep it side
    Now heat the ghee in the pan and fry gobi until it is soft keep it aside. Fry peas in same pan just for 3-4 min.keep it aside.
    Peel the haldi and grate it
    In the same pan put more ghee when it is hot add hing and then put cumin seed when it crackles add red and green chillies fry for a min.and now add haldi fry until it becomes golden or dark in colour (if not properly fried it will give bitter taste, by looking to it u can feel it is fried, constantly move the spoon so that it donot stuck on wok it almost takes 15 min. to be fried)
    Now add to it the curd mixture already prepared ginger and fry it till the curd leaves the ghee add some water and then add gobi and peas fry it for 10 more min and the sabzi ir ready. Sprinkle coriander leaves.