1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Being Trolled And Bullied And Personally Attacked On Social Networking

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Needtobestrong, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Yes true..

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  2. Needtobestrong

Yes this is a sensible way to proceed from now on..

3. Needtobestrong

The working ladies got offended, ok..but they don’t have right to belittle stay at home moms or assume that they’re being lazy or dependant on others or useless or unfit for job..I know many well educated and qualified SAHMs who can’t go for work because of lack of proper support or major health constraints or some other undisclosed reason.

“Better to join groups where people have mutual respect and can agree to disagree.”

That’s what we should do,

Swetha52003 and chanchitra like this.
  4. Needtobestrong

Yes, she has learnt from this bitter experience and has promised herself to not waste time and energy on stupid discussions and debates, rather focus on her own life and family and restart her career.

Swetha52003 likes this.
  5. Needtobestrong

@anika987 you have been bullied a lot your entire life, isn’t it..by relatives and friends and random acquaintances..
    Any similar online bullying or personal attack that you faced? How did you deal..

anika987 and chanchitra like this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Firstly,I quit social media long time back and FB only use it to connect with friends I want to wish for their birthdays.

Second,I try not to give any advice even if I think it is positive coz we never know what insecurity the other person is facing.

Few things that made me deal..

1) I try to stop seeking approval from others .

2) I do not have much expectations with anyone anymore.

3) I am very true to myself and do things I love.I accept myself and my choices in life.It is what I chose and I like it.My truth may not be liked by others but who cares? The moment we stop caring, things are blissful.We have to do what we really want.I do not want to be successful in the eyes of the society but if am happy,that is my success.

4) Perceptions, priorities, thoughts, interests, situations is very different from each and every person.Society can do all the stereotypes, but that is the fact.We need more awareness and clarity to deal better.

5)People may say zillion things but mostly it is to defend situations and justify the choices. Other person's truth might trigger insecurities for others.In reality, there is no right or wrong.We should be doing what is right for us.

6)Just coz someone insults, it is just a reflection of their insecurities. Mature, happy and content people will never do that.They will think before they talk or act.Humiliation is how we take it.Someone saying certain things is not going to change who we are.

7)I develop my self worth everyday by doing things which I want, listing out my positives, knowing my worth and improving myself.I do not try to waste time and energy on things which do not matter.

8) I cut off all the people who are not good for my mental health.People whom I cannot..I am practicing mental detachment.Tough but doable.

9) Practicing acceptance.

10) Most importantly..think about this.Generally,do you think a happy,positive induvidual will sit and bully or troll someone?will verbally hurt someone?Even if they do unintentionally,they will apologize sooner or later or never try to do it again if they know you are hurt.Just understand the mental situation of the troll who is typing hurtful stuff.Do you think they are secure people?Their intention is only to hurt.Let them.If you do not approve it..it will go in the air:) .You should respond and not react. Generally,people who troll badly have their insecurities.

Change begins only from us.We have to be ready to change.Only we can help ourselves.We need to self introspect and find a solution instead of focusing on the problems.People are people.They won't change or need to change.We are in control of ourselves right?that's how am dealing things these days.

7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

All those things your friend mentioned are well known to all of us who have had to leave our children with paid childcare. These comments just come off as patronizing and condescending.
    And breastfeeding is a minefield of a topic. Even the so-called experts cannot agree whether it’s better to directly breastfeed or even if pumped breast milk has the same benefits, leave alone formula. And not everyone has a choice to work for a company that offers generous maternity leave benefits, nor do they have the power to change the policy at their company. When Marissa Mayer was the CEO of Yahoo and had her baby she built a playroom right next to her office and returned to work after a short leave. Her employees did not have the same option.
    Everyone is just trying to do the best they can under less than ideal circumstances in many cases.

shravs3, yellowmango, Laks09 and 5 others like this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Needtobestrong - It’s never a good idea to post on open social media groups about parenting SAHM Vs going back to work etc. Those are all sore points for many women. We never know how many insecure people are out there. As a rule, I don’t post on any WhatsApp/FB groups. Even when people ask a question that I know the answer to I’ve stopped. It’s best not to answer in these groups. We don’t know who the other people are. They don’t even have their names properly just some initials and then some generic profile photos. Over sharing leads to people getting information about us that may have unintended consequences - like how many kids, what gender, what grades, where everyone works etc. It’s out there for eternity. Best to use your read only mode in such groups and post in places like IL obscuring data.
    One of my friends told me to stop posting so much on social media because of evil nazar. After two years of her pressure, I stopped posting pics. I wonder if the evil nazar is gone. Now I only post political banter. Have to stop doing that too because apparently my son’s school has a parent FB group they want to add me to. That will be fun with all my anti Republican posts in a red state :joycat:

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What seemed OK to you can easily seem condescending and patronizing to others, as noted in posts above. That is the nature of written public discussion.

It really is pretty simple. For a long time politics, religion and salary have been considered taboo topics in conversation. With the advent of social media a bunch of popular and hopelessly predictable debates get added to that list. When is it OK for mom to go back to work in an office is one such topic. Expressing opinion on this rarely ends well. So, don't. Unless one thrives on such debates and it brings a high.

Your friend's woes (yours?) are sad but not relevant to her social media experience. She wrote about a touchy topic in a public forum, the conversation went as most such conversations do -- downhill.

Like I said in my previous post, if one is going through personal struggles it is better to avoid discussions on related hot topics. Since her SAHM status is a sensitive one for her and her husband is not supportive, it would be common sense for her to avoid the topic in public debate. If she absolutely wants to write about it, a better place would be her own blog, or as a separate standalone "sharing my story" format, when she is not feeling very raw about it.

========
    Frankly, none of the examples you have given in the first post qualify for personal attack, trolling or bullying claims.

1) In a group of parents who are not close friends, if one parent complains about the tuition hike, there will be some comments about options like govt. school.

2) Lady who posted her travel plans on a group and guys PM'ed her with friendship and hookup invites - is it rocket science to remember that women should not share their travel plans in a group where such men are also members? People said that it is because of such travel that Covid is spreading. So? Are the people completely wrong? Isn't such an opinion to be expected in a time when the origin, cause, prevention and cure of a virus are still hazy and people are dying by the thousands?

3) Your posts in a job-related group did not get approved while random queries by others got approved - there can be a million reasons for this. Not so long ago I used to imagine that my threads here in IL on certain topics got moved while threads by other members on those topics got to remain wherever they started it. : ) Fortunately, I introspected a bit and a few good reasons presented themselves for the seeming disparity in thread getting moved.

Social media is no kind place overflowing with politeness and consideration. But while navigating it I often have to remind myself of the quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson:
    "Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."

Coming back to your friend who wrote about it is good if moms BF babies till 1 year.. It is about what is said, when it is said, how it is said, and who all are going to read it. The "how it is said" being the most important. As an example, the tone of my posts in this thread is "strong" and heavy on the ideal way according to me of handling social media interactions. I should be prepared for strong responses. I chose formula and dealt with quite a few women like your friend and so am prepared. If I were not, I would simply read this thread and not write in it.

Twice or more you have said that her comments on BF "seemed quite OK to me." It might give you perspective to know that they did not seem OK to me. To read the options listed out brought back the horrible memories I have long since confined to some dark recesses of the mind. I can recall the voices of my well-meaning friends and co-workers listing the same options, the La Leche consultant phone numbers they gave me, their offers to come home and show me how to massage my boobs, their cluelessness when I asked for real scientific evidence (numbers and real statistics) of the benefits of BM.

See? A random thread in a weekend years and nearly decades after those difficult times can cause an allegedly "strong" person like me to come undone? No one except a mother herself will know the hell of second-guessing decisions like formula, daycare and what not. Each time the child misses a physical or other developmental milestone, the monkey in the brain starts the "what if" dance.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    SunPa, shravs3, yellowmango and 9 others like this.
  10. Needtobestrong

Thanks for detailed reply..I too have been bullied and this will help me to deal..
    Online, actually I spend minimal time on social media, and like you, only to stay in touch with close people like friends, classmates, relatives ...I dint have time or interest in detailed online debates hence avoided such situations...
    Your suggestions would be useful in future.

anika987 likes this.