1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Being coupon crazy

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by shubhasiddharth, Apr 7, 2013.

1. shubhasiddharth

shubhasiddharth Bronze IL'ite

I have read a lot about couponing..read some blogs,. read on the net how you can practically buy your weekly grocery for peanut price..but I have not done it myself yet..Have anyone of you tried it? Are you an avid couponer? Where do you get your coupons from? Any reliable websites? paper cuttings? How do you go about it? I would really like to try it

2. hgulla

hgulla Silver IL'ite

3. Purohit22

Purohit22 New IL'ite

Hi
    v get our coupons from sunday papers,coupons.com,dealspl.us,P and G website and retail me not.com and really u cn save a lot using these coupons.
    Enjoy couponing :)

4. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Shuba,

You can get coupons by registering within the store site. For example : for Target, if you get the target card , you get 5% discount each time u purchase from there. And they send you coupons too.
    Similarly for costco too.

You can get from Coupons.com website and other Slickdeals site .

The point is , when it comes to Grocery shopping, just because you see a coupon you may end up buying that product which you really do not "need".
    I've tried this and found this to be a little addictive , causing extra expense. so I stopped doing this.

Even in Costco, we get the monthly coupons. Once when we were really bored , we took the time to really compare the price .
    Example: take Papertowels . The coupon says $3 off for Bounty rolls.
    Actual price of bounty would be say 17.99 . With coupon you get it for 14.99
    But if you check the Costco brand Kirkland, the paper towels would be 13.99 with no coupons. My idea is why not buy kirkland.
    Some may argue about the quality of absorption on the towels, but honestly I have not seen a considerable difference between both.

This is my opinion of what I've seen with coupons so far.

4 people like this.
  5. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

I have tried it in the past, I have saved a bit but most coupons that I use are for restaurants.

6. smilysmile

smilysmile Gold IL'ite

I used coupons on apparel Jcpenny ,Macy's,Gymboree
    When you buy stuff or become their rewards member you get coupons
    Mostly useful when you buy lots of clothes and you have kids

The grocery coupons I use now are Cvs pharmacy
    Which has extrabucks program like you get $3 off $15
    and some times I get $3 or $1.50 extrabucks I buy chips or or candy or juice boxes I pay nothing
    the more you buy ,the more coupons you get.I don't buy more to get more coupons

Will update more about Kroger coupons in the next post

7. madhurisatya

madhurisatya Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Couponing need lot of patience and lot of calculations...You can print coupons from coupons.com or redplum and also from store websites... Check your sunday local newspaper... I generally use coupons for kids juices, bathroom scents,cookies, wipes etc, I spend very minimal amount on these items after coupons...And also check the store coupon policy. Like Giant store will double the coupon which we use on certain items.. so you get some itmes for free.

I agree with other views that we end up buying which is not required and keep them stocking..

These are the few blogs which I follow
    Coupons

Coupons – Hip2Save

1 person likes this.
  8. smilysmile

smilysmile Gold IL'ite

Kroger coupons
    We got them at the store when few little boys were selling to fund their scout fair,I had no idea that I would get a coupon book at $10 ,it had 2 coupons per month $5 off $75 for next 9 months and several other coupons ,the price of the coupon book had been paid off in the first month.I bought only the essentials, like veggies ,fruits , toothpaste ,mouthwash etc. I am going to use only grocery coupons and give away to friends who like to travel as there are many discounts on them
    I prefered Kroger because it is close to my home and has organic veggies and fruits

When we bought our couches we got very good coupons like $500 off next purchase , we informed our friends but they were not interested.you may start sharing coupons among your friends , you may find good deals

I ask the store person how to find good deal/coupons and was told at HEB to find the yellow manufacturer's coupons
    Carter's ,Babies r us ,party city,Burlington coat factory,kohls , you can get the coupons in email, mail or sometimes when you buy their stuff

9. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I use coupons for regular items like washing detergent toothpaste paper towels and all. Coupons come inthe sunday newspaper for us and you can look into it and select the ones you need to use.
    Cut it out and keep it in the purse that you take to shopping
    If you become more regular with coupons then you get to buy coupon book which has got slots to save the coupons under category which will be easy to store and use also.
    However one has to be careful about not buying what we do not need and stocking up!!!

10. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

I use coupons for regular groceries, restaurants, and shopping. I've been using coupons for over 4 years and I love it.

Don't buy stuff just because you have coupons. Buy stuff you need and look for coupons. Also, make sure you have grocery list + needed coupons before going for shopping.

We don't have membership for costco or sams club as the savings didn't justify the membership cost (we're a family of two). However, coupons save lot of money.

2 people like this.