1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Behind The Wheel Test

Discussion in 'Indians in California' started by Pearldrop, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Pearldrop,

If you need to take more time, please don’t rush into test. This test is for you to feel confident behind the wheels and also in the interest of you and other drivers on the street. It is more a safety measure than an academic knowledge. You need to feel safe in the streets. You need to spend more time with the instructor in navigating the roads among other cars and also on interstate, if possible. Spouse is not the best instructor. You are lucky that CA has more liberal testing process. In Florida, the test is conducted to park the vehicle between two cones. The inspector will watch the indicator before you turn and when you change lanes.

I agree it gives you freedom to drive on your own when your husband is at work. But take your time before you appear for the test. Generally, 5-6 classes of one hour each should help you learn well.

Luckily, I was driving in Mumbai before I moved to Florida. Only lane disciplines I needed to learn as no one paid attention to the lanes in Mumbai. I wasn’t used to high speed traffic in Mumbai other than highways.

Thyagarajan and Pearldrop like this.
  2. Pearldrop

Pearldrop Senior IL'ite

Oh i see. Now i know how you got that confidence. I never drove even a 2 wheeler in India and hence the road fear. I will practice more and if possible take some few more lessons before the test. Thanks

Thyagarajan and MalStrom like this.
  3. Pearldrop

Pearldrop Senior IL'ite

If my husband is ready to spend for 2 more sessions i would happily take it but he thinks its an unnecessary expense now. Also he is very sure that even with instructor class i wont pass the test but i feel i am doing better. Instructor during the 1st session told me that my car maneuvering is good but she failed to provide me any rules or tips moreover i felt like my husband sitting next to me. So far everything about car driving i learnt from youtube channels only. I will find some good driving school and continue from there. Good thing in CA they don't ask for parallel parking and freeway drive.. I take your advice, convince my hubby for more classes and then give my test. Its for everyone's safety. Thank you for your reply.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

This thread - A tad nostalgic for me .
    When my motor vehicle and two wheeler licenses about to expire and due for renewal, I was asked to send it to RTO Bombay currently Mumbai. Because they issued those two licenses which were over 40 years old. Until 2005 I was driving scooter in nasty roads in Chennai - a city with less civic sense . I applied fresh for license to drive scooter to RTO Chennai. The inspector who took my test failed me twice in the test of driving around the huge 8 drawn on open ground. Then I was suggested that if I go through driving school it is easy to get the li ense even without test! Done.

Pearldrop likes this.
  5. Pearldrop

Pearldrop Senior IL'ite

I have a similar story to share as well. Me and my friend both wanted to take 2 wheeler license back in college days which was 10 yrs ago. Driving office was suggesting us to apply for both 2 & 4 wheeler as a combo. I did not agree but my friend did. So during the DL test i did proper 8 without getting out of line but my friend could not do it. 2 times she drove out of the line yet our driving instructor managed to get her 2 wheeler license because she paid 5k for 4 wheeler. Its like apply for car dl and get 2 wheeler dl free. Now she is a pro driving both 2 & 4 wheeler in chennai traffic.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

@Pearldrop,

Unlike most young people, I migrate to the US at the age of 41. I was driving everyday to work from Kandivili to SEEPZ, Andheri in Mumbai and will have to navigate a lot of traffic on the way. I was also driving in Bangalore to work everyday before I finally migrated to the US. The trip was a maiden international trip for my wife, son and myself. We just moved into Florida not knowing anything about the city, traffic, weather, food and housing. The company gave us accommodation in a hotel for 5 days and then asked us to find a rented apartment. Luckily, a colleague helped me find an apartment and also rent some furnitures. As I had no credit history in this country, many of my colleagues will have to guarantee all the loans I got including buying of a vehicle.

My colleagues picked and dropped me at home for a week. I had exactly 5 days to learn driving and get a license which I managed to get. Still, on the first day to work, I came out of the subdivision and turned left into the oncoming traffic. Luckily, all of the vehicles stopped and allowed me to go to the other side of the road. Despite all my driving skills in Mumbai, initially the high speed traffic made me feel nervous until I learned the highspeed traffic works because of the discipline of the drivers.

A lot of letters used to come which are basically junk mails. I used to feel happy to read them as I felt someone is communicating with me constantly. Another notable thing was the Americans greeting us regularly when we go for walk without any inhibitions of talking to a stranger.

That is why I suggested that you take your time as you have your husband who has a license to drive.

Pearldrop and chanchitra like this.
  7. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Not right.
    Why is it an unnecessary expense. The more you practice, better for you

Pearldrop likes this.
  8. Pearldrop

Pearldrop Senior IL'ite

Its interesting to know about your experiences with driving. Everyone at some point might have put in hard work to get the driving license. Not everyone got it easily mainly men who had to take license in short time without having own car to practice yet they have to do it for family.

Currently i live in a place where everything is under 10 min walk including doctor, school, drug store, shops so no problem if i don't know driving here. Now i have enough time and energy to learn but somehow my husband is not cooperating.

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. Pearldrop

Pearldrop Senior IL'ite

I live in a prime location now with everything in walkable location also with good public transportation. Incase if i pass the exam i am very sure he wont let me touch his car even one small scratch that is it. Also he is thinking why to get another used car for me just to practice driving and now its an added expense.

10. Viswamitra

Soon you are going to be given a CA license. I am sure you are going to enjoy driving yourself wherever you like to go. My best wishes.

Pearldrop likes this.