1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Beauty in things exists merely in the mind which contemplates them

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sofea, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]
    I received an e-mail from a good friend lately. He sent me a photograph of A.R.Rahman and an elderly man with the caption asking..."Recognise the guy beside ARR?" And absent-mindedly I shook my head.

A closer look at the picture revealed the person as Arvindswamy. Oh God! Is he the same man who flickered the heart of the women in 90's? I mean, I remember when Thalapathy was released in 1991 and my then 17 years old sister was to sit for her public exams that year. Nevertheless, instead of scurrying to the library in preparation for the exams, she and her friends were busy gushing about Arvindswamy, the latest sensation to hit the Tamil cinema!

And when Roja was released the following year, even my aunt who's married with three kids was yearning for him! In fact, if I were to ask any women back then as to whom their dream guy would be, I'd bet that 9 out of 10 of them would say Arvindswamy. He sure was a dream boy back then!

To tell the truth, Arvindswamy has never excited me as an actor. In fact, having watched Roja lately, I've noticed how awkward he was at some scenes (especially in song sequences) in comparison to Madhubala who was a bundle of joy to watch at!

No doubt that he has acted in a string of wonderful films, but acting wise, I find that he was at his best in only 2 films, Bombay and Marupadiyum...I thought he was fabulous in Bombay, even though I must admit that Manisha is the show-stealer in the movie.

And Marupadiyum was a delight to watch, all thanks to Arvind's screen presence. I loved the scene when he proposes to Revathi in the temple, carefully threading his words hoping that she might say yes to him...and the climax scene when Revathi tells him that she has to go away from him in order to stand on her own feet. Then she asks him if he could understand her disposition, and even with the pain flickering in his eyes, he smiles and tells her that he understands her. That was classic.

How I wish that that Arvind-actor would return again. The one who would effortlessly put a smile on your face. The one who tells Madhubala "Sorry, S-O-R-R-Y...naan rombe mosemanevan illai, konjem nalavan than" (I'm not that bad...I'm actually quite a nice person too). Thinking about the scene now, I could understand why women wanted to have a husband like him.

In fact, when I showed Arvind's latest picture to my sister (yeah, the same one who was gushing about him 20 years back), she just told me one thing..."I never knew what I saw in him". But, isn't that vindictive? Probably he was just worked up...He could have been so busy with his work that he neglected to look after himself...or probably he was just facing too much of problems in his life...his wife just divorced him and both are battling for the custody of the kids.

But whatever said and done, he is still Arvindswamy. He may look like a 60 years old man now with the mole above his right eyebrow being the only identifiable element in him, but does everything change when looks are gone? I mean, Michael Jackson looked pathethic during the years before his death but I still think of him as the man who gave the fabulous Thriller and the amazing moonwalk dance.

So has Arvindswamy became a different person simply because he gained weight and lost his hair? I bet that if Roja or Bombay or Marupadiyum is shown in tv today, people would still be glued to them, gushing about him, wishing to get a husband like him...and yeah...they might add a little prayer to the wishes too...please don't let him be fat and bald later on...but that's a different matter altogether;)
    [/JUSTIFY]
    Arvindswamy then...
    View attachment 134235

Arvindswamy now...
    View attachment 134236

2. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

OMG!!!!!Sofea...
    He looks so different.. He looks plum and bold now...Age is catching up...thanks for sharing.

Shanti

3. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanti, from reading your post, I assume that you had a crush on him in the earlier days too ;-) Anyway, I just wanted to make a point that despite how he looks today, there's no doubt Arvindswamy made an impact on all the young women in the 90's. Btw, I'm going to watch Bombay for the umpteenth time today :thumbsup

4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sofea,

A lovely write up... i like your style of writing... it is so smooth and down to earth.

Akila

5. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Hi Akila,

Thanks for dropping by. And millions of thanks for your heart-warming comments :) Really appreciate this.

6. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Another nice write up Sofea!
    You have a great flair for writing.. Keep it up!

7. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Sofea,

Eventhough i saw arvindsamy's movie to my opinion he is not too handsome his calm nature and way of talk made the girls mad. His way of acting in the films always top hit which everybody is aware. Now age showed his personality and having a different look.
    You are conveying and summarising the topic in a very good manner.Keep up the same

8. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

9. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Enjoyed reading your blog !!!!!!!! Ageing is inevitable !!!!!!! Heroes do not care about their looks but heroines do ...

As far as heroes .. Few actors like amitabh, salman, hrithik, nagarjun, chiranjeevi, mammooty .. take care of their fitness and appearance in public.

But heroines (padmini, saroja devi, sheela..to sreedevi, madhavi, madhuri) took/ take utmost care to look young...... with makeup, dressing. Sreedevi and madhuri are fit too with their workout routines and dieting.

I still remember how we girls used to talk only about the heroes of films which reigned on the top at that particular time... i remember us talking about AAmir khan when "Qayamat se Qayamat tak" was released, Nagarjuna and his famous "O Priya priya" song, Arvindsamy when "Roja" was released, SRK when "DDLJ", Baazigar were released. The craze was for a particular hero at that particular time only.

Arvindswamy looks aged now but will always be remembered and thought of as the handsome young husband of ROJA. ​

10. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Oh my god!!
    She was very cute and handsome in those days!
    Age is the big factor here...