1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Bay area ladies meet here

Discussion in 'Indians in Bay Area' started by Shal, Feb 23, 2006.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Shal

Frankly,I have not been to this place but I have heard that Yuba city has a good Sikh population..maybe that is why this festival is held there.

Sacramento is more famous for museums and if you are interested you can visit the Railroad museum and a whole other history related museums.Then there is something called Discovery Park by the American River.In Sacramento,we have only been to the zoo and an amusement park called Funderland close to that.Only this year onwards,we have decided to do a lot of travelling and sightseeeing now that my son is 3 1/2 years.

Somebody had earlier suggested Folsom dam,we are yet to see that place.

Hope I have been of some help to you.

2. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Thanks Sunitha!

Dear Sunitha,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I got to call a person belonging to the community there at Yuba city and he suggested houseboating at Marysville, a nearby town or just a drive to Sacramento or Davis. Museum's really get me interested, but I am not sure how much Dh would like the idea! Let's see, hopefully we'll figure out bfore the weekend!

Love
    Shal

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

For Shal

Hi Shal,

How about the White water rafting on American river. i think it is near Sacremento. It would take about 3 hours. if your hubby is into this kind of thing.

Vandhana

4. Hopefloats

Hopefloats New IL'ite

Yosemite

Hi Sunitha

I had recently been to Yosemite, it was really good. But as Vandana says, please carry food for your children and if possible for yourself too may be bread, jams, fruits. We went via I-140 and due to construction work it was closed and the detour took us almost 11/2 hrs to reach yosemite. There are very few food joints at Yosemite and the shop at curry village was very crowded and costly too. We survived because we had carried lots of biscuits, junk food else it would have been really difficult.

plan and hope you have good fun

cheers
    hopefloats

5. Hopefloats

Hopefloats New IL'ite

Long weekend trip tips

Hi all

This long weekend we are looking at one day trips, so planning to trek at Half moon bay and go to shoreline blvd. Do we have to stay overnight at these places or can we come back the same night? Are there any tips that you can offer? any suggested web sites? any other suggestions? please help!

thanks in advance
    hopefloats

6. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Half moon bay and Shoreline Blvd, both great places!

Dear Hopefloats,

I've been to half moon bay twice and it rocks! I don't think you need to stay overnight there, it's perfect for a day trip. It's pretty scenic and has some good hike trails. If you're a beginner in hiking, you may want to check out the wilbur watch trail right opposite Pigeon point at Half moon Bay. It's abt a mile to two, and has a splendid view from top. Google for hike trails in California and it presents you with a host of choices!

Shoreline Blvd is calm and scenic too. Present right amidst the tech belt, yet so away from the hustle-bustle of life. Have been there a couple of times too, and have just wanted to go there more, for it's just about 15 mins drive from home! You can do boating, sailing or just sip away some hot coffee at the cafe' located right there. I think you can do jet skiing too, anyone correct me if I am wrong.

You may want to pack food for both places, I packed sandwiches and thepla with biscuits and juices. Don't forget to take a picnic towel/bed spread for you'll find many a desi at Shoreline Blvd on picnics enjoying food sitting on the towels spread on the cool meadows. Shoreline Blvd has nice walk trails along Golf courses too!

Shoreline Blvd: http://www.abag.ca.gov/bayarea/baytrail/vtour/map3/access/Btmtnvw/Btmtvw2.htm
    Bay area hike trails:
    http://www.bahiker.com/southbayhikes/halfmoon.html

Love
    Shal

7. Hopefloats

Hopefloats New IL'ite

Thank you shal! That was pretty quick. I am checking out the websites that you specified. It gives a good idea. Thanks once again shal. You have a good long weekend!

cheers
    hopefloats

8. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Few More day trips from the Bay Area

Here a re few more places that one can consider for day trips. These are all about 2 and half to 3 hour drives:

1. Hearst Castle : Really nice day trip. Located in San Simeon on Hwy 101.
    http://www.hearstcastle.com/

2. California Caverns: There are about 3 to 4 different caverns. This is for the adventurous sort. I have not been here yet as they do not allow kids under 4 years . But it definitely looks fun. We are planning to go the Sutter gold mine one of these weekends.

http://www.caverntours.com/

3. Calistoga Geyser : Our very own old faithful geyser without having to go all the way to Yellow stone. You can also take hot air balloon rides in the area and ofcourse go and visit one of the numerous vineyards.
    http://www.oldfaithfulgeyser.com/

Vandhana

9. Hopefloats

Hopefloats New IL'ite

Half moon bay

Hi all

Half moon bay was excellent. The weather was perfect and the drive was ultimate. We enjoyed thoroughly. Thanks for all your tips.

cheers
    hopefloats

10. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Hi All

We went to the California Caverns on Saturday.It is about 2 1/2 hrs drive from Sacramento.Enjoyed a lot!..Thanks Vandhana for suggesting this.We spent about 45 minutes inside the caverns/caves.My son enjoyed too.

If anybody is planning to visit this..please don't go with babies.It will be good if the child is able to walk since in most places inside the caves,it is slightly slippery and paths are narrow and roofs low,it will be difficult to carry the kid.

We had to ditch Yosemite because of various reasons....maybe will do that some other time.