1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Bay area ladies meet here

Discussion in 'Indians in Bay Area' started by Shal, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Dear Friends,

Sonu is doing a great job by unifying our friends residing in Malaysia/Singapore areas. So I was wondering if I could follow suit and get the bay area friends together...

We could possibly share good-to-know info abt our surroundings and make the bay area forum a happening one on IL!

What say ladies?

Love-
    Shalini

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Bay Area Members

Dear Shalini,

it is a good idea. Hope there are more IL member who live in the Bay area.
    Vandhana

3. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Bay area ladies

Dear Vandana,

I know Sunitha lives in Sacramento and Ridhima lives in Union City and I can count on Ridhima as she is a great friend and is as new as I am to this place. I hope
    Sunitha likes the idea too...

Love
    Shalini

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Shal

Nice idea!!!I have been in Sacramento for a year now.I am still getting to know this place...About Bay Area,I have no clue..probably you all can give me info regarding bay area.

Cheers

5. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Though I am not currently in Bay area, I just wanted to say I loved being there.. I was in Bay area for nearly 2 years and loved it.. Cant forget the SFO wharf, golden gate & scenic half moon bay areas.. and of course all the indian restaurants. I miss Sravana bhavan, anna poorna and lot many..

:)

6. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

Hey shalini,vandhana&others!
    i live in sunnyvale!!i'd like to join the gang too if u guys dont mind!!i luv bay area!!i was in sacremento 1st when i came as a newly married.....but moved from there within 6 months&since then have been in bay area!its been 2 yrs in bay area now.I must say bay area is more happening!!coz we have the luxury of watching Indian movies in theaters&also the many Indian restaurants!!!liver more temple also feels close to home!hoping to make some good friends in you all!!!
    cheers
    Vidhya.

7. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

This is good stuff!

Hi friends,

It's good to see we're all equally motivated to make this happen!

Well, I came here in June last year after getting married. This place is so filled with Indian stuff, I don't miss India much except for parents and friends!

I am starting school next month to pursue my masters. I also do a voluntary internship...so life's going good. Thanks to mom, Mrs Chitra and some friends, I am learning to cook decently:)

Sunita, how is Sacramento to live in? Do you get as much desi stuff as you do in the bay area? Are there advantages/priviledges w.r.t living in the capital of the state?

Selvi, wish you were in living in the bay area too, I am sure you would have contributed lots for you seem to be in love with this place:) Where do you live now?

Vidhukumar, I remember sharing a couple of posts with you long time back. My husband calls Sunnyvale 'desivale'!! It's filled with desis, aint it? Infact we have a couple of friends in sunnyvale who refuse to live elsewhere for you get to see so many desis and eat all the lovely indian food:)

Vandana, you are a sweetheart! You help me with all my silly doubts regarding recipes and always motivate me to do better! It'll be good if we could form a sub-forum and get some more people to join us.

To start with, let's start with the topic if not all, atleast most women love:
    Shopping!!

1. Where do you shop for apparel?
    2. Where do you shop for groceries(Indian& non-indian)
    3. Where do you buy your shoes from?
    4. What are good places to shop for gifts to take to India?
    5. What, in your opinion, is a good gift for newly wedded couples coming to the bay area? Where do you buy the gifts?
    5. Do you look for deals and then go shopping or end up at the mall and then search for one?

Pool in more questions that come to your mind...

Love-
    Shal
    p.s. I shall post my answer to the above questions soon.

8. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Shal

Sacramento sure has a lot of Punjabis who are into farming,business etc.They seem to have come here and settled atleast 2-3 decades back.You get to see a lot of Sikhs in our area-Natomas- but they have their own groups and I do not find them to be friendly.

Otherwise compared to the Bay Area,you will definitely not feel at home here.Indian restaurants like the Priya Grill,Kaveri etc are there and Indian Groceries like Desi Bazaar,Kaveri,House of Indian Grocery etc are there.I don't find it difficult to get indian food items and that itself is a blessing,I think.Moreover the Chinese market in Florin Road has a lot of Indian Vegetables and other items.

I too felt that moving here would be boring but thankfully my son keeps me engaged during the day that I do not find the time even to think about the word 'Boring'. If you don't have a kid to keep you engaged,then Sacramento is not the place for you because you will feel lonely and depressed since there are not many Indians around.But frankly ,I love this privacy here since back at home,especially after my marriage,I had forgotten what the word 'privacy' meant.

Shopping...let's see..As I said,I am still discovering the places,just last Sunday,we discoverd Burlington's Coats Factory on Florin Road...it is a wonderful shop to purchase all your coats/jackets from.They have a huge array of jackets that you will be left wondering which one to choose!!!

Cheers

9. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

My list

Hi all,

The answers to those questions are here below:

1. Where do you shop for apparel? (Forever 21, Macy's, Gap, Guess)

2. Where do you shop for groceries(Indian& non-indian) (India Cash n Carry(fresher stuff), New India Bazar (mipitas)(proximity to home)

3. Where do you buy your shoes from? (Not bought one in the US- that reminds me to go buy the first one!!)

4. What are good places to shop for gifts to take to India? (No idea- haven't gone to India after arriving here)

5. What, in your opinion, is a good gift for newly wedded couples coming to the bay area? Where do you buy the gifts? (Gifts from Mikasa(great mall), gift cards to bed bath and beyond, macy's home section, crate and barrel, etc)

6. Do you look for deals and then go shopping or end up at the mall and then search for one? (Hit the mall and then look for deals there.)

Pool in more questions that come to your mind...

Love-
    Shal

10. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

Here is my list of places to shop:

1. Where do you shop for apparel?
    Any of the big shops like macys, also specialty ones like Brooks Brothers, Polo, etc.......

2. Where do you shop for groceries(Indian& non-indian)
    All Indian groceries I buy fromNew India Bazaar ( santa clara. More like shop loyalty i have been goign there for a long time. In spring and summer I go to Farmers market to buy veggies. Youget lovely fresh veggies at throw away prices( all avarakai, pushnikai, chow chow, katrikai etc....). Also Shop at Trader Joes.

3. Where do you buy your shoes from?
    Sneakers and Shoes we buy from Nike, reebok, Bass, and ofcourse, for slipper etc... i Buy from India and come.
    4. What are good places to shop for gifts to take to India?

Depends on what kind of gifts you are planning to take. I love to go to Victoria Secret or Bath and Body works, Mikasa, Corning, Farberware, Costco amd Best Buy.
    Trader Joes has some lovely collection of chocolates and sugarfree stuff at reasonable prices.

5. What, in your opinion, is a good gift for newly wedded couples coming to the bay area? Where do you buy the gifts?
    Mostly give them a gift card to one of the big stores like Macys, Bed bath and beyond. Also Usually give them a picture or idol of God. ( which i stock up on everytime I visit Chennai)
    5. Do you look for deals and then go shopping or end up at the mall and then search for one?
    Not really wth two kids in tow, I make a list of things ineed and then go and get it done quickly. If I get a good deal in the bargain, i am happy. thats it. Not much time for browsing and window shopping etc....

My Favorite places for eating out:
    Indian: SaravanaBhavan
    Italian: Macaroni Grill and California Pizza Kitchen
    Mexican: Fiesta Del mar ( its in Mountain View)
    Of course I love to go to Fresh Choice anytime. I do not eat Chinese here. Not sure of the veg/nonveg thing. I am not too keen on Thai ( too much Garlic for my taste)
    Ladies, you must try the Falafel in the Falafel Drive in . I think its on Stevens creeek Blvd. It has been ages since i went there. I just make it at home nowadays!!
    That it for me now.
    Vandhana