Bathrooms For Customers Only Policy

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, May 11, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A friend and her family run a successful store that sells ice-cream and another specialty food item. A well-known chain. She is finally taking a short vacation in the end of May, and I agreed to be at the store for a few hours one day. I and a few other friends are taking turns to be there and supervise the very capable staff. No stress to help friend -- most likely I will just be sitting or hanging around talking with customers and putting on a few calories myself. : )

Alas! I was counting the ice-creams before they froze. There had to be a fly in the ointment.

I just read that Starbucks has announced they will allow anyone to use their bathrooms, whether or not the person is a paying customer. I quickly called up my friend and asked their store policy. She said they have signs that say bathrooms are for paying customers only and that the policy is mostly enforced.

I told her that I will not be able to do that. I cannot say No to a family with young kids or teenagers wanting to use the bathroom. Technically speaking I will be the "manager" and an employee or non-paying customer could approach me with the dispute. I don't want to be video-recorded saying No to a little kid who is alternately jumping up and down and crossing his legs and needs to go now. :neutral:

Should non-paying customers be allowed to use bathrooms at places like fast-food, cafes or ice-cream parlors?

Last edited: May 11, 2018

2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I feel it must be allowed . Once during our NYC trip I myself faced it tat too during chilly December ! Walked so far but couldn’t find much shops there . If found ,Most of them were closed. Some dint allow !
    Alas ! Finally found Dunkin Donuts . He was kind enough to let us .. After using the washroom we bought some hot coffee and bagels for using the washroom ;).

PS: Who knows if you allow non - customers some might feel guilty for using the service freely and buy something .
    Who would miss Ice creams !
    I scream for Ice Cream”.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    sindmani, Rihana and Star25 like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

: ) I am like that. Even at a gas station, if we are not filling gas, I make DH go buy something at the counter if we are using the bathroom.

It does make sense to allow. But, being nice in business comes with its drawbacks. Teenagers can use the bathroom as a drugs exchange area. Homeless people go in and use the sink and lots of toilet paper to "take a bath" and hog the bathroom for 20-30 minutes. Management cannot say or do much in these times when we are all pretty much on candid camera all the time.

I am thinking I will beg DH to come along or go instead of me to supervise.

sindmani and shravs3 like this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Ya true!