Bank adopts girl child, helps better education

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by poonamjoshi9266, Jan 24, 2008.

1. poonamjoshi9266

poonamjoshi9266 New IL'ite

Around 28 girl students of various schools were given scholarships under the girl child adoptions scheme launched by the State Bank of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> this year. Most of the parents are vegetable seller, runs small grocery shop or rickshaw puller. The bank adopted 800 girl students of both government and private schools . Every year girls would be given cheques to support their education. Yesterday Governor Syed Sibtey Razi handed over cheques (ranging 2000/- to 5000/-) to girl students aged between 6 and 14 years at Raj Bhawan, <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Ranchi</st1:place></st1:City>. Next year, the bank plans to extend the facility to 2000 students from across the country.

More such organizations should come forward to help girl students who are unable to pursue their education. Education is very important for a girl child and for the betterment of the society.

2. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Yes Poonam,

Its so very true. In our orgn. we have some sort of social service activity every month. Jan we donated blood. In Dec. we had collected about Rs. 8000/- and donated 27 pairs of question bank set to 2 school where the students come from the lower strata of the society whose income is hardly Rs. 1000/- to Rs. 2000/- per month.

The teachers use this books to help those students who are good academically...but can't afford to buy books to study at home. And these books are preserved properly so that they can use it for 10 yrs when the syballus normally changes.

Even if every med size orgn collectively help even 5 students....then i am sure we can cover atleast 25 % of the population which needs aid for studies.

Most of the IL are working or atleast their spouse are ...even if they start such a thing in their orgn...by finding out schools in their area and funding the top 5 or any 5.

We do lot of SS activities in different fields...but one thing that we follow is never give cash....if we are paying fees, we deposit it directly to the school and also monitor the progress of those kids. If we want to give anything to an orphanage...we find out their needs and buy whatever necessary and give it to them. If we are helping any lady...then again we monitor their progress. etc.

It is not a difficult task, just needs some initiative and a will to do.

Warm regards
    Roopa.

3. kuttimayil

kuttimayil New IL'ite

hai poonam

i would like to know whether all over India, SBI has launched this programme or only in your state? Because I'm out of country, I am not aware. Pl. inform me as I want my servant's grand-daughter to get the benefits. she wants to study, but lacking some helping hand. hope this would be of help to her.

thanks
    uma.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

kudos to sbi..and only if all other organisations follow..as roopa says.

Me as a individual fund a child's education for the whole year. As roopa says we need to locate and identify and do the needful...

More people should come out and contribute for such causes helping mankind...and making the world a better place to live in.

5. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Dear Uma its nice to see your concern for your maids grand daughter.

If you don't mind my saying so...why don't you and the others for whom this maid or her family members are working chip in some amount and educate this girl.

As you have mentioned that its her grandchild...she may still be in school and the expense may not be as much.

Alternatively if she is 15yrs and above then try to get a part time job so she can fund her own studies.

Whatever be the way of funding...see to it that she progress well and there is not hitch. Keep monitoring and encouraging.

Warm regards
    Roopa.

Shan :hatsoff off to you for the good deed that you are doing. I am getting to learn a lot from the likes of you, SS, mals and others i like Ria's attitude too.

6. poonamjoshi9266

Hi Roopa,

Great to know that you are doing some SS activity every month and yes :iagree with you that instead of giving cash we should deposit their fees directly to school or college.

Thanks a lot for the idea. As I am also working and very soon will start the same in my organization.

Thanks

7. poonamjoshi9266

Hi Uma,

Sorry dear I am not sure whether all over India, SBI has launched this programme or only in Jharkhand. Please ask your main to visit the nearest branch of SBI and find it out, if required she can refer about SBI, Jharkhand.