back to work after a break

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Tulasi, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I worked for five years in a good company and after my second child born i quit my job it has been three years now.. I want re-enter the job field but I am
    getting scared that will i get job after this much break and what should I tell the
    employers what i did this 3 years basically how should i fill up the gap of 3 years in resume in a effective way....can you ladies please give me some advice

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007

2. rajinigandhap

rajinigandhap Senior IL'ite

Hi tulasi

Hi
    Actually i have gap of 2 years .In My resume i filled that I am in teaching profession .Actually i am a software engineer.But they didn't considered Teaching Experience as your general proffessional experience.But you can
    Easily fill the gap.All the best

3. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Hi Tulasi,

It is better not to lie on your resume. Usually the US employers do a background check when you join employment (though they check for felony and other criminal offences). However it is better you be frank and straightforward in what you write on your resume.

When asked in the interview, it is okay and quite acceptable to say that you were a "stay at home" mom. I know many of my friends and colleagues who have gone back to work after 3-5 years of staying home either because of visa problems or motherhood/personal reasons.

Good luck with your search.

Regards
    Vidya

1 person likes this.
  4. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Rajani & Vidya,

Thank you for your response. I also a software engr.just gaining confidence after
    reading your responses. will start looking for job soon..

Thanks again

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  5. svm33m

svm33m New IL'ite

Hi,

I am also into IT. I also have a gap of 3 yrs after my delivery. I am finding it quite difficult here in Canada to reenter workforce. If you have any tips, let me know.

Thanks,
    Rukmani.

6. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    It is better not to lie in your resume. I am also into Software and I know lots of people( both Americans and Indians) who have taken time off to be with their kids. The companies will def understand ! Just build your confidence and start floating your resume! You will find a job soon! Infact a cousin of mine, worked for a w hile then gave up her job, took about 7-8 years off then joined back! She struggled in the beginning not becoz she dint get interview calls, becoz she used to ber very nervos. After three four interviews, she was fine and got placed! Good luck in your job hunt!

Regards,
    lakshmi

7. harinivijay

harinivijay New IL'ite

hi all,
    i too join the same position as joining work after a break. ladies , i need moral support to boost my confidence .i worked for 1 year that too just continued after my student project for my BE degree in a mnc. after that my marriage, childbirth and stay at home mom ....all situation came with 4 years gap. meanwhile i qualified with testing courses and a Mba degree...took some java classes for students.
    now i want to join in work culture. is it possible to work after taking a break?
    could please tell me if i aim for HR mgr-asst role ,what to expect in interview? i've completed my Mba ,just 6 months before. so i'm a fresher in that field..

i appreciate ur help ,in advance.
    thank you
    harini

8. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello,
    Even I had 4 yrs of gap between the jobs because of Kids.
    It was very tough getting the job again.
    My confidence level was also very low.
    But we have to go thru this phase of life..
    If you put false things and get a job, it might be difficult/bad when they do the backgroud check. It is always good to show the truth in the resume.

All the best,
    Punitha

9. vv123

vv123 New IL'ite

Hi all,

After reading the above posts I feel confident. I am a commerce graduate. I worked as a faculty intially and then worked as programmer. I did Sun certifications. But I am really not happy with the Bcom degree. I always wanted to study further. Now since I have a kid . I am not able to go back to work nor study. Taking care of baby is a full time job. I was feeling very low for the last few days.. I have taken a break for nearly 3 yrs.

After reading the above posts.. I learnt that we are sailing in the same boat.
    But seriously I think I should start doing some correspondece courses.

Vidya

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  10. anukvs

anukvs Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Do not quote false jobs in the resume. it is perfectly fine to say that you took some personal time off to spend time with your kids and now that they would be off to see the world (play school, etc), you want to refocus on your career.

I did exactly the same. Took a 4 yr break during my second delviery and joined main stream work. My resume till date quotes the above mentioned reason and no body questions that and they in fact respect that. I have been working now for the past 6 yrs after the break.

Also, to start with, it might be difficult to find jobs in your domain, but with patience and confidence in yourself you will with the right kind of job that you look for. Do not compromise just because you are getting a break.

All the best.

anu

1 person likes this.