Back to the working desk !

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Vidya24, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Ladies,

I have a degree in economics and am basically a career oriented woman. I have worked as an academic and later as a development consultant for an international organisation and then the CSR section of a large shipping company.After a hibernation of nine months, I decided to switch fields. Am now working in a marketing information consultancy. Till I landed this job, I felt useless sitting at home. And now that I have this job, I wish I were back sitting in the comfort on my home. My colleagues are all in their mid twenties, early thirties. All have skill sets and goals so precise and focussed, that I seem to be a ball of shifting goals. I feel something like an abacus in front of high tech computers. Monday mornings loom and Friday evenings are hailed with a sigh of relief. I guess these are just starting blues and I will get over them.Anyone out there ever felt this way or is it just me??

regards
    Vidya

2. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear V24,

Economics Graduates are normally great people, with high level of thinking and broader prospective etc... They can come out of any difficulties and tight corners easily....

I am really surprised to note the various switches you have taken... I am amazed and in short just WOW!!!!!!!!!... Great work...

The hightech gadgets, if you understand the fundas, then it will become easier... When I first started using the spreadsheets, MIS, consolidation... I had all issues... My collegue bluntly refused to explain me the spread sheet, after that only teaching about entering the datas etc... Once I learnt, then it became real easy...

Yes initial period, it will be difficult... I am confident with you experience and talent, you can grab it up quickly...

All the very Best...

Veda

3. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear V24,

I have seen the worst professional jealousy in my life... That was the starting of my carreer in a corporate world... My collegue, who was handling MIS and consolidation of accounts refused to show me the files also... I was handling Tax and Funds... Fortunately for me, he went on leave for 1 month and the other data entry person showed me what data he enters where... I used to stay late nights and try to link it and understand... Then I learnt how it is being done... Thanks and I had some good bosses, who taught me things and put me in the front, so that I can learn from my mistakes....

Yes, people would love to go around pubs etc... but not willing to teach is basically, because they are scared... If we teach the other person, our job will be at stake... Secondly, if the other person is efficient, he/she will understand what you are doing/not doing.... So just relax and try to understand the software... Then you are the master... Sorry, i am too youg in age/experience to suggest also...

On the lighter side of it... I am also an economics graduate.... hahahaha..... So, I always have the affinity towards Eco....

Veda

4. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Dear Vidya,

Joining a new job itself is overwhelming...and when you add switching career fields to it, there is even more stress...So its totally understandable, believe me...

In my first job post MBA, it took me about 6 months to figure out what I am supposed to be doing...Big Laughwhen I shared notes with my colleagues who had also joined as freshers...we were all on the same boat...lol...

Then after a few years I switched to IT...which was a complete change career wise...and also skill set wise...

It is surprising to hear that your colleagues are not helping you with understand the applications...I guess office dynamics are changing in India...*sigh*

Can you ask your boss if there is any training etc that they can provide you with on the system/application?? Or tell a colleague who knows the system to help you out. I would think that it is in the best interest of the company that a new hire be given suitable training in the applications that they would use...

If nothing then you can get some books on the system and LIY...I'm sure you will be comfortable with the system in a few days...and will start enjoying going to your office...:) *hugz*

love,
    Aarushi

5. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vidya,

Your post resonated so much that I came to chip-in.

We all have changed careers. I was a supply chain/manufacturing guy for the first 5 years of my career and I am doing advertising now (and that too in a land of Advertisers/Marketers). A well thought out career change (like mine) have its own issues to cope with, but sensing from your thread, it looks like your mind is more thinking about the lack of a career focus (due to frequent job changes that are not by choice) than the aftermath of a decisive career change.

First, don't over estimate your colleagues career focus and skill sets. If you ask them "Can you tell me how your current job helps you reach your longer term career objective?", a good majority would be like deer in headlights. Very very few have the career clarity worth envying and that too comes from years of experience and introspection. Bulk of the masses are making a transactional decision - this sounds good at this point in time.

Second, regarding skillsets, there is this tendency among people to project that their work is rocket science. When we look at it from the periphery, we sometimes believe it. But, when you dig in, its not all that hard. Deep down, your colleagues probably don't want you to find out that their job isn't rocket science and hence the hesitation to share and teach.

I see this a lot in the IT field particularly (no offense folks!). If it took me 1 year to figure this out, why should I give my knowledge to you in a platter..seems to be their thinking. What a ridiculous idea.

In this, I have a couple of ideas.

One, I have found colleagues helpful when I have done some initial digging around myself and then go to them with specific questions. I am sure you would be doing this already, but just in case.

Two, having some form of an underlying relationship with colleagues helps in them being more open to teaching you things. Maybe, ask about their kids or weekend activities or movies they watched recently or whatever that helps you build a non-work related connection point. Once I had a very difficult colleague and everyone around the office found it hard to deal with him. In normal conversations, I found out that he has a hobby of buying and selling stuff on ebay. I took some interest in learning about it (asked him to show his ebay listings etc) and allowed him to brag about it to me. It eased the relationship a lot and he is still a friend outside of my current job. You can try that.

Third, it takes time for things to settle in. For you to understand your new surroundings, for your colleagues to understand you etc. So, give it some time and everything will fall in place.

Best of luck Vidya!