Back to Memories due to Election Campaign in the City

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by vjan29, Apr 22, 2014.

1. vjan29

vjan29 Platinum IL'ite

Today in Chennai city lot of traffic diversion as political parties doing campaigning as last day is nearing to finish the campaign.

My office is in Guindy, though I was aware of this campaigning going on in the city, I forgot last minute while leaving office, I started around 7:30pm from my office, I was coming on my usual way Guindy - Saidapet and T-nagar. When I entered T-nagar from Mount road, the traffic was moving slowly and middle of the South Usman Road the traffic was struck. The traffic police was holding the traffic which goes towards T-Nagar bus stand, I was waiting for few minutes, then I thought lets take left and catch the Madley sub-way, I entered a left lane and took the immediate right turn, vehicles were passing me, I thought people also following same, I proceeded further, unfortunately I ended up again in the same South Usman Road, so again I proceeded further, in a junction, traffic police were diverting the vehicles to the left road, I think that leads to Kannamapettai. I asked an auto driver is this road leads to Kannamapettai, he said with irritated face in Tamil "po po sudukaadu varum" (yes go go you will see cremation ground). I was wondering why he has to tell about cremation ground, I realized he was frustrated. I was thinking about Kannamaapettai and Madley sub-way, my thoughts were going back to my initial days of marriage life, after my marriage, me and my wife was staying at Natesan Street which near by this madley sub-way and kannamaapettai. I was thinking lets see that road and proceeded. Thinking about old memories, I went along with other vehicles thinking that madley sub-way will come, I was keep going, instead of Madley sub-way I reached Aranganaathan Sub-way, I was irritated.

Then I proceeded the Aranganaathan sub-way I took right turn, and proceeded, I stopped at a turn, I know if I take left that will lead to Ashok Nagar, but I have to go to Kodambakkam, so I thought lets try some short cut, I turned to right and looked a small street, I saw a board "Kasi Vishwanathar Temple", then I thought OK lets catch Kuppaia Street, then I can easily go to Kodambakkam, when I was thinking about Kuppaia Street, my memories gone to a marriage hall in Kuppaia Street, Kasi Mutt Marriage Hall where my marriage happened, I was thinking lets go to that road and see the marriage hall, I was proceeding to the road, again my memories about my marriage days, but at the end of the street there was option left or right, I couldn't see Kuppaia street, I saw a board in a shop, it is Ellaiaman Koil Street, I was confused again. I thought of taking right turn, a police man was diverting people to left and saying go straight and take first right, So I took the left turn and waited at the first right, four middle aged men were chatting, I asked one guy showing the straight road and asked him where this road lead, he said in Tamil "indha road kadisiyila road'oda end varuum" (he said this road end the end of the road will come), I realized my situation and was quite what to do, a guy interpreted and said this road leads to Ashok Pillar, he asked where you want to go, I realized I should have asked this first. Then I told I want to go to Kodambakkam, he said take this right turn at the end take left and take immediate right, go straight it will take you to Kodambakkam, so I was proceeding as he said.

While proceeding, I was seeing all small, small streets in Chennai and thinking, being in Chennai for 15 years, I got struck in this T.Nagar and West Mambalam area and couldn't get a main road. Luckily the road connected to Lake View road, so since I was familiar with Lake View Road, I was proceeding to adjacent to rail track road, I took a left turn after some time, I know that left road leads to 5 lights junction, I have gone back to memories again, I was thinking about my Yoga classes I use to come here, it's been several years I didn't come and meet my Yoga guru, I was thinking one day I have visit him.

When I reached the five lights junction, suddenly the tea shop came in my mind and the fast food attached to that. When I use to come for yoga classes if it's Saturday then after finishing yoga I go to that tea shop and they serve hot idlies with dipped sambar, I use to have that. I couldn't resist, so I took left turn and stopped at the tea shop, I parked my bike, went to the fast food, asked what tiffin available, the guy said idly and dosa, I said two idly and one vada. He served two idly and one vada, and small jug sambar pored on the idly and vada. Hot sambar on idly and vada, while I was about to have, I saw my watch it's 8:30pm, its been one hour I left my office, I still on the way, then I thought dinner might be ready at home, then I thought OK let's have dinner little late. So, I had that hot sambar idly and vada and left the tea shop.

When I reached the home it was already 9pm. While I was struck in the traffic jam, I was really irritated about this election campaign, but I was thinking about my old memories all my frustration gone.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    8 people like this.

2. nimmimoorthy

nimmimoorthy Platinum IL'ite

Our memories are linked to particular places, we are not forgetting them but gets perished. While seeing those places our mind gets refreshed and we feel happier from inside. In the traffic congestion and diversions, ur mind has rekindled the old memories and your attitude made you to feel good about it.

3 people like this.
  3. vjan29

vjan29 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks nimmimoorthy for comments. Yes, I felt very good when I was going all these places.

4. varhem

varhem IL Hall of Fame

the traffic jam peeved you but 5 lighta,idli sambar brought back old ,sweet memories.good thatyour irritations were gone

1 person likes this.
  5. nithya185

nithya185 Platinum IL'ite

I had a similar experience last year...
    I still remember, during my 12th board exams my dad used to drop me at school, it would take less than 15mins from our house...
    last year one fine morning I took the same route to school, there was a lot of traffic and the journey took almost 55mins but I never got irritated because of it because a lot of sweet memories came to my mind from my school days...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. kooru

kooru Silver IL'ite

hmm.. election causes nostalgia.. interestingthinkingsmiley

1 person likes this.