1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Back pain.

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by Huma, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Hi friends.

here some tips to prevent back pain

Exercise

This is the one thing that has strong evidence of long-term benefits for the back. If the muscles have gone into spasm, gentle stretches will help. Any exercise is good...walking, cycling or swimming, for instance but if you have back problems, focus on keeping the spine flexible and strengthening the muscles and ligaments that support it.

We r more likely to injure ourselves first thing in the morning, so , don't bend over to pick anything up for the first couple of hours after getting up, be careful when putting on trousers and tights, and avoid aerobic exercise and heavy stretching. From your back's point of view, the best time to exercise is from lunch-time onwards.

Lose weight
    The spine is designed to carry the body's weight, but if you're overweight, you put extra stress on the spine, which will eventually begin to wear out.

Stand well.
    If you slouch when you're sitting or standing, you put extra strain on the muscles, try to sit and stand in a neutral position, with the spine straight.

2. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the wonderful and useful tips dear friend. In a metro city like Mumbai where commuters stand for more than an hour to reach their destination (one way), back pain and joint pains is inevitable. The jerk of the local trains gives immense stress to the joints of the legs and on the back too. Almost half of the population in Mumbai are suffering from back ache and the doctors say its because of the long commuting hours (mostly standing) and definitely not in a comfortable posture.

Me too have a back ache and have kept your tips in mind.

3. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Yes Huma, even when one is suffering from back pain (i.e still has extremely painful/sore back) one should not skip on excercise. Contrary to the popular belief to be off from excercise when in pain, I had heard in a NPR programme from an osteologist that continuing to excercise thogh in moderation will help faster recovery.

The guest speaker who is the head of the department at a reputed hospital himself a sufferer from lower back pain says that when his back goes 'plop' on him, he just wears the backsupport and goes about doing his regular activities. According to him, less than 1% of lower back pain sufferers require total rest due to nerve damage.

Good posture and regular exercise does help.

NPR : Bad-Disk Reboot: Back Pain May Not Mean Surgery

NPR : Researchers Identify Different Types of Back Pain

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  4. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Hi Huma,

Even I have back pain after my 3rd kid and still facing the pain... Your tips are really good and will try it .. thanks friends ... Suni :)

5. poonamjoshi9266

poonamjoshi9266 New IL'ite

Hi Huma,

Thanks for the info dear.

6. sudhasrk

sudhasrk New IL'ite

hi friend
    though late i happened to view your message only now .i really agree with u that strecthing muscled r really good. also i found that while tking exercise like strecthing legs and also our back in the morning i am likely to get suddenn sprains for a day or 2 having great stiffness also .thank u for the advise

7. kapuchu

kapuchu New IL'ite

hi Huma
    Thanks for the tips ..I was actually looking for one now ..will try out.
    bye
    kapuchu

8. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai Huma

Thanx for your tips. I am doing the walking exercise. But now I will focus of keeping the spine flexible.

Andal