1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

baby vomits after feeding expressed BM

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by sahana2011, Oct 14, 2011.

1. sahana2011

sahana2011 Junior IL'ite

my baby is 7 weeks old.He vomits(not completely,but definitely more than spit ups) after feeding expressed BM.I am doing the following things

1.I refrigerate expressed BM and gave him milk which was expressed 3 days earlier.Is it wrong?

2.I mixed 2 different milk which was expressed at 2 different timings.is it wrong?

3.I shaked the BM to make it even with fat content.

dont know where did I went wrong.experts please advice.

2. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sahana2011,

Is your baby throwing up even if you feed directly?
    if this happens for every feed, may be the baby is drinking more than the required qty. Are you forcefeeding a little more ?
    you can try reducing the qty. Feed the baby , burp the baby then again continue feeding.
    or may be give a break of 15mins and then continue feeding.

1) No this is ok. you can store in fridge upto 5 days
    more than that should be stored in freezer
    2) Dont do this. May be heat them up separately and feed them separately
    3) i dont know if shaking is the correct process. I've known about Swirling.

3. sahana2011

sahana2011 Junior IL'ite

thanks ranchu.He does not throw up if fed directly from breast.I give him formula twice,breastfeeding twice,5 to 6 times expressed milk.he throws up the expressed milk alone.so I doubt the hygiene and other stuff related to storage.what is swirling?

4. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

You are not supposed to shake the BM. You can gently move the bottle in circle to even the fat content. I think it's the swirling.

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I am suspicious of overfeeding also. My friend's baby was fed a combo of expressed milk and formula was always throwing up and so we went to the ped and it was overfeeding. Good Mom syndrome.....:)

6. sahana2011

sahana2011 Junior IL'ite

thanks smilealways and tashidelek.he seems to throw up if the expressed milk is >2 days old.Hence I have discarded some of the old ones and also stopped shaking it.Now I gently swirl although it does not even the fat content

7. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Even I suspect over feeding. It's easy to feed more with a bottle. Breast milk can be stored in the refrigerator for 5 days. If you have more than 5 days of supply (i.e you are pumping and storing) then store in the freezer right away after pumping. Breast milk (less than 5 days old) need not be discarded. Also don't shake breast milk instead swirl or mix it with a spoon. Place the breast milk in a bowl of warm water. This will help in melting the fat content and then you can mix it with a spoon. This will even the fat content.

8. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

You can also try a nipple with a smaller hole, since the baby's suck can get too much out of the bottle if the nipple hole is too large. This leads to gulping and throwing up.

9. sahana2011

sahana2011 Junior IL'ite

thanks mridhusudha.to even the fat content i shaked it.:(.now a days i dont store it in the refrigerator.I use it in less than 4 hrs.thanks again for being there

this is a good tip cissyboo.thanks.